Hit & Run damage today

31 minutes ago, Tooljunkie said:

That sucks. Well its not so bad that it cannot be fixed. 
still, stuff like this should never happen.  It was parked after all. 

Yes that does suck, I could quote Vincent Vega (John Travolta) from Pulp Fiction after someone keyed his car, but some of that language might not go over that well here.  ?

possible......when the guys gets home or next stop and sees his damage to what may be his towed RV...he may make the same statement...I am a hit and run victim.....many folks have no clue when backing if their trailer has made contact with something especially if there is a bit of give in the hit...metal bending....

There is a campground for motorhomes  nearby and the speed limit is 10 MPH in this area . I am wondering if it was hit by a motor home , something with a lot of bulk . It was parked in first gear and shoved 6 feet forward when hit , the grove box popped open and the contents flew on the seat and the floor . Lots of glass left on the street and some plastic from the culprit vehicle . 

That is ugly! And attempt to go door to door for video or a witness? Around here they barely investigate hit and runs so you'd have to cover it yourself. Luckily it looks like the fender will be fixable- I know they aren't easily replaced. 

My sister's black car was hit during the night at her dimly lit apartment complex years ago...she remembered seeing a big U-Haul truck at one of the nearby buildings when she came in from work, then the next morning her car trunk was bashed from the top, and her fender paint was missing similar to your tailgate, like it was rubbed off from a big heavy sidewall.  Since her car got shoved sideways and left skidmarks, the police concurred that something big hit her car and drove off...made the insurance claim go a little smoother...

I have not posted much lately but this hit home and deep. Those areas are pretty thick metal. Hate to see it happen to anybody but very sad when it jacks up some vintage hard to find never be original virgin again Mopar steel. I feel for you and have a recent fender issue to deal with as well. Will be interested to see how you tackle the repairs. 

2 hours ago, Young Ed said:

And attempt to go door to door for video or a witness?

The nearby place where someone might have seen something is a Ships Store and dry docks for boat repair . I didn't think to go over and ask about witnesses , but when I reported the incident to the police department an hour later , I mentioned that to the cop , He was going to check out the area and I told him to look for the broken glass so he could find the exact spot . It must have made a lot of noise .  

sadly as Ed mentioned, for the most part unless there is a human injury, there is little done as this is a "victimless crime" and cops pretty much just let insurance deal with things.

Sucks.  Sadly people don't care about things anymore unless it is theirs.

If it doesn't drive Jerry, I'll swing by and pick it up so we can bang some of that mess out.

We'll get'er back on the road.

48D

Edited by 48Dodger
  • Like 3

It was drivable , I drove it home , now I have the fender pulled off  along with the bumper and tail light . I banged out the big rear dent in  the fender , just to see how it would come out . It looks fairly well there but I don't have the skills or tools to tackle much more and it needs welding in a couple of spots . I plan on bringing the fender to Dentoni's welding this afternoon . Of course it is covered by insurance . I ordered a new bumper , tail light brackets , etc . I don't want to order a fiberglass fender though . 48D , I appreciate the offer . A few days ago I drove the truck to a collision repair shop here in Stockton and the guy wanted $2,000 - $3,000 just to remove and repair the fender .  I know that this should be the battle of the insurance company but I want to be involved . I think that I have a guy lined up to pound out the remaining dents after I have it welded . 

11 minutes ago, Merle Coggins said:

How are you going to claim these repairs with the insurance company if you do them yourself? I would think you'd need an official estimate from a repair shop for the insurance. Then once they pay out you can do the repairs as needed. 

I would also expect that the insurance company will ask for at least one estimate, and possibly a "second opinion".  Of course the danger is that they would "total the vehicle".  But even then, I think you always have the option of buying it back (for a smaller settlement price), but then you also end up with a "salvage title" (at least here in Ohio you would).

On 12/16/2020 at 7:36 AM, ggdad1951 said:

sadly as Ed mentioned, for the most part unless there is a human injury, there is little done as this is a "victimless crime" and cops pretty much just let insurance deal with things.

Sucks.  Sadly people don't care about things anymore unless it is theirs.

well it sucks but it is far from a victimless crime....the crime is the damage was done and the culprit split the scene and that means now that every person who has an insurance policy is picking up the tab....everyone here is a victim now....my grandson was hit and run a bit back by an elderly couple...their whereabouts is still unknown as they split the scene post haste during the rescue operation and transport to the hospital..

I don't plan on making a claim for reimbursement for any work that I do myself . The insurance company wants me to find and chose  my own repair service shops and send them a list of expenses broken down by parts or labor when completed . One of the bills that they will get is for $656 for a new bumper , bumper brackets , tail light brackets , & shipping . Because of the pandemic they don't even send out a person to take photos , I sent them photos of the damage and of the VIN plate . 

18 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

well it sucks but it is far from a victimless crime....the crime is the damage was done and the culprit split the scene and that means now that every person who has an insurance policy is picking up the tab....everyone here is a victim now....my grandson was hit and run a bit back by an elderly couple...their whereabouts is still unknown as they split the scene post haste during the rescue operation and transport to the hospital..

that's why I said "victimless crime" with quotes....