55 Super Red Ram Timing Mark

toddb

I'm trying to find the timing mark on the crank pully. I can find pretty close to TDC and still can't find the mark. Can anyone post a pic of the mark or at least let me know what it looks like or where on the pully it is. Is it a little line or a notch?

Thanks

I don't have a 55 Super Red Ram, nor a 55 Dodge FSM.  I do havve a 55 Plymouth FSM that has the poly version of the Super Red Ram engine as well as a 57 Dodge FSM that does have the Super Red Ram info in it. 

The 57 FSM does not show the marks, that I can find.  But the text states the marks are on the vibration damper.  Remember TDC happens twice per cylinder, once on the firing stroke and once on the exhaust stroke, you may be 180 out.

The 55 Plymouth does have a pic showing the marks, they are on the balancer there too.  See attached pic

timing.JPG

Hello,

I'm just starting the teardown of my 55 Dodge 270 Hemi. As you can see the marks match the factory photo. Athough the marks are very faint, I used emory cloth to clean the pulley. I plan to repaint the pulley and re mark with a file and punch to make them easier to read. the book calls for the  engine timing to be set at 4 dregrees before TDC.

Hope the picture helps.

Good luck with yours!

Ernie Baily

ernestbaily@att.net

IMG_1058.jpg

My  55 CRL Motor.jpg

55 Dodge 270 Hemi timing marks.jpg

Thanks to all! I can't believe I can't find any trace of the timing mark. You would think at least part of the marks would be visible. I'll try cleaning the pulley a little more and look again.

Ernie...........that is a real nice Dodge................and I appreciate the subtle upgrades in the engine bay...............very nice...........andyd

You're right. I hope mine turns out even close! 

Looks like I have some work to do before I find mine. The White Out mark on the edge of the pulley is as close to TDC as I can tell. What grit emery did you use?

timing mark.jpg