Front flex brake hose removal

Mertz

F5400BDC-06F5-4F2D-B135-6D0C6BDB1DA2.jpeg.032489067fa98a0337969ba019eae719.jpegI’m starting on the front brakes. I have the hub off and am ready to take off the backing plates. Removal is a little different than back but I have it figured out except how to disconnect the flex line. In one manual it says to disconnect the line at the frame first then the wheel cylinder. Is there a clip that holds it to the frame?  I certainly can’t get a wrench inside the frame. 

The front hoses that go thru the front truck frame have a big nut tightening it to the frame.

Remove the steel brake line from the upper hose end then use a socket and ratchet to remove the hose nut if you don't want to or cannot use a big wrench.

• Thanks 1

I always use a tube nut wrench to undo the tube nuts.

The steel line is old ...snip it off right  at the hose and tube nut.  Make a new steel line as that line is old and unsafe anyway....this if you cannot undo the old original steel line tube nut.

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

if you can’t get it, I would cut it off and replaced it with a new one.

https://dcmclassics.com/brake-parts/63-br-264-brake-hose-takes-3.html

(truth be told, I do that anyway ?)

The hoses are not broken but should be replaced anyway. So cutting is not a problem. It is still pretty deep in the frame with other objects in the way. I’ll get a really good look tomorrow. I’ll try to send a good picture. 

Might try to unbolt the wheel cylinder from the backing plate.  Should be enough slack in the hose to pull it out far enough to get a wrench on the hose fitting and take the wheel cylinder off.  That should then allow you to get the backing plate off.  If your going to replace the hose (highly recommended),  cut through the hose fitting hex as close to the frame as you can as seen in the second picture.  With a punch, knock the remainder of the hose fitting free of the frame.  This should give you access to the hose fitting/ hard brake line connection so it can be disassembled.  My 2 cents.  Regards

I ended up cutting off the hardline and removed the nut. I got the passenger side backing plate off but the long bolt was hard to get off. I screwed on the nut and hit it with a hammer. The drivers side long bolt is stuck tight. Is there some sprung tension on the assembly I need to relieve or is it just stuck?  Looks like I will have to replace king pin bushings. The passenger side is wobbly but the drivers side appears tight. Both will be replaced. 

My wheels turn farther in one direction than the other but noticed the stop bolt is partially broken on the passenger side. 8DCC02A4-20E3-49CA-A4B1-B84C33FC23AC.jpeg.5130299a652609786c764d79849b7f2d.jpeg

I wouldn't worry too much about cutting the hard lines off.  Those should all be replaced as well  If you don't mangle too much, they will work as patterns for the new lines.