230 Thermostate

SteveR

I need a bit of help from across the pond. I am in need of a 180 deg thermostate for my 230 dodge engine. I have purchased 1 from Andy Bernbaum and 1 from Rockauto. Neither one fit. I have the external bypass and the flange is 2 5/8" dia. Could someone tell me a part number of the correct stat? I have been to several Auto Stores here in England but unless I have a part number they are unable or unwilling to help.

Edited by SteveR
added content

I always thought for the most part and thru the years these engines used the same size. If so then Bernbaums or Rock Auto should have it. 

But if they are not mostly the same size then is it the original engine for the car? If it isn't then you may need to order one for that year and size engine not the one for that year and model car. Check the id numbers on the side of the engine. 

When I had my 41 Plymouth it had an internal bypass setup and the thermostat housing used the same size 180degree thermostat as the one that the 318 used in the 40 Dodge........the 318 was a Poly but the intake was a Weiand alloy single 4 intake and I purchase a new thermostat for the sidevalve 201 six at a local parts shop, it was a standard size, off the shelf.....as far as I know this thermostat was used well into the 1960's if not longer................have sold the 41 plymouth 6yrs ago, only have this pic showing the thermostat housing in the Plymouth and this poor pic showing the 318 one.....the thermostats were the same in BOTH engines.................andyd   

IMG_1543.JPG

P1000805 (800x600).jpg

7 hours ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

I remember buying a thermostat for my 52 from a guy on E-Bay about 18 years ago and when I went to use it it was completely different from what I need. Are the earlier cars different?

I know the style changed. Sometime in the 40's they started getting shorter. Not sure if the housing changed along with them but I guess it would have to at some point to accommodate the change in thermostat. 

10 hours ago, Lloyd said:

But if they are not mostly the same size then is it the original engine for the car?

My engine is a 51-52 Dodge car engine.  The thermostate I bought from Andy B did not fit, it was too small even though I specified the correct engine year.

I just replaced the thermostat in my P-15 218, the old one was stuck open. I bought the thermostat from Napa:

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/MRD55?partTypeName=Engine+Thermostat&keywordInput=thermostat

In the box was a rubber seal that sealed the top of the stat against the housing and also a large brass adapter that made it fit on the head. This photo in the link above shows the brass piece attached to the thermostat. Without the brass piece the thermostat was definitely too small to fit the housing. I don't know if any of this applies to the Dodge 230 but maybe it helps in some way. The old thermostat was very different from this one, much taller and fit without any adapters.

Edited by Sam Buchanan

A 51-52 Dodge engine is internal bypass, if it has the correct head. For your cast housing, NAPA THM155, Stant 13928, ACDelco 12T11D, Motorad 218180. You can get them at Rockauto, but need to search for 1950 or earlier.

SAM_0904.JPG.35627643f432dd3e6349f9f9b687d71f.JPG

The thermostate I am looking for looks like the one on the right. It is 2.5 " at the flange. I have checked NAPA here in England and they do not carry thermostates and I can not get on the US site.

Edited by SteveR

SteveR..........not trying to upset the applecart here but why are you looking for the exact same style of thermostat?.........the newer style ones as shown on the left of your pic showing both old and new will work just as well..........and should be easy to find as they are what is used in late model V8 engines........ ..andyd  

A EBay search for- mopar flathead thermostat-had some of the older style thermostats-

How about 5 for $75?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/mopar-407937-flat-head-car-Dodge-Truck-thermostat-180-deg-lot-of-5/201710484643?hash=item2ef6e1bca3:g:l2QAAOSwcLxYD7A~

DJ

4 hours ago, Andydodge said:

SteveR..........not trying to upset the applecart here but why are you looking for the exact same style of thermostat?.........the newer style ones as shown on the left of your pic showing both old and new will work just as well..........and should be easy to find as they are what is used in late model V8 engines........ ..andyd  

Good call Andy. The one on the left does fit the housing. Long as it seals OK it should work fine.

Looks like Bernbaums may have sent the right one after all.