Differences between 218 and 288

ozzmonaut

I know this is a little before the time frame specified for this part of the forum. But I'm sure folks here will have the answers. What would be external differences that can help differentiate between the late 20's 218 and 288? My guess is that they were the same block but with a slightly larger bore and stroke. Obviously, I do not want to remove the head on a perfectly good engine to check the piston size. Thanks

29 minutes ago, ozzmonaut said:

1927 Chrysler Guide - Classics on Autotrader       This link seems to echo what I have seen in several other spec outlines. Supposedly, the series 50 had a 170, series 60 had the 218, and series 70 had the 288.

The  218 described in that article is very different  than the later 218.  It mentions 7 main bearings for instance. ... I wasn't aware that such a design was in the Chrysler history.

I'd bet that 288 is a fun engine! So the imperial was basically just a series 80, so top speed 80mph. Now I just need to figure out how to tell the difference visually between a 180 and 218. I can find a lot of pics of early 218's, but not much imagery for 180's.

27 minutes ago, greg g said:

I believe the early blocks may have been narrower.

The 33 and 34 Plymouth blocks are narrower than the 35 and later. I don’t know about before that.

There are some references that claim the Plymouth 6 was based on an earlier DeSoto design, so maybe the earlier blocks were narrow too.

I think the engine used in the 33and 34 Plymouth and Dodge cars was the first with modern insert bearings and the first with something other than a rope seal and gland nut on the water pump.

• 2 weeks later...

According to "Standard Catalog of Chrysler 2nd ed" the 1927 models were:

50 - 170 ci four,

60 - 180 ci six, 3 bore x 4-1/4 stroke, engine nos H-21001 to H-72800

70 - 218 ci six, 3-1/8 bore x 4-3/4 stroke, engine nos G-142301 to G-151600

80 - 288 ci six, 3-1/2 bore x 5 stroke, engine nos not stated but possibly E-******** if similar numbering convention

So you may be able to tell difference by engine number or stroke.