Oil pan front or rear?

Boody

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got out to the parts crates, seems I am OK, 

20210108_131145_1600x1200.jpg.e04ada39dc7f151e646cb361c865cde0.jpg

One on left is from the original engine, right is from ???, but it is front sump and will work.

Glad I heard about this difference before everything was assembled.

I do notice no baffling in the rear sum pan?

• Like 1

I have a front sump pan, oil pick up, and front sump dip stick (dip stick tube threads into a boss on the front of the pan) that I removed from a truck engine. I can dig it out of storage and take some pics if you need them. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/25/2020 at 3:44 PM, JBNeal said:

Now that I have my oil pan and pickup, sometimes  the answer is ALMOST around  the corner. I have a couple of questions.  1 when  I install  the pickup do I put anything  on the threads? 2 the pan gasket set came with 2 large O rings to cut and use for the front main cap seals. Is this necessary?

Thanks  Dave

18 hours ago, Boody said:

... the pan gasket set came with 2 large O rings to cut and use for the front main cap seals. Is this necessary?

Thanks  Dave

Could ya clarify the dimensions, material etc of these o-rings?  What were the specific instructions included with the gasket set regarding the front main cap seals?

I took a look at one of my spare flatheads to jog my fuzzy memory...if the o-ring is a square profile, it looks like these 1.125" sections would go in that piece that is bolted into the block and through the timing chain cover:

sm20210120_173043edit.jpg.40f57dc86c1175530952d3387f154101.jpg

as for the pickup tube, it appears to have a tapered pipe thread into the block, so that would benefit from a quality thread sealant.