Friction welding

Frank Elder

I watched several vids last night on friction welding, one was about a huge truck axle, attaching the spindles to the axle tube ends. Never knew such a process existed, You tube never fails to either entertain or educate me.......can't post links yet haven't figured out yet how to do it on this IPad I inherited, and my lap top spread feces all over itself and I lost everything....bummer.

Anyway if you hadn't seen it in action before I highly recommend it for your viewing pleasure.

Many years ago I working the booth at a trade show and the company next to us did explosive welding. Didn't think much about it until I started looking at the samples on the table (It was a really slow show) and a sample of aluminum welded to bronze caught my eye. Wait a minute, how did you do that? He explained the process and and noted production days were a lot of fun with all the explosions! Customers were mostly military contractors who needed weird hybrid materials. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, P15-D24 said:

Many years ago I working the booth at a trade show and the company next to us did explosive welding. Didn't think much about it until I started looking at the samples on the table (It was a really slow show) and a sample of aluminum welded to bronze caught my eye. Wait a minute, how did you do that? He explained the process and and noted production days were a lot of fun with all the explosions! Customers were mostly military contractors who needed weird hybrid materials. 

Wow......now I gotta look for that one, thanks for giving me homework Boss....lol.

I've done friction welding making custom CV axle shafts in the past (weird stuff like Artic cat ATV insides and Bombardier ATV outsides......) 

I also do quite a bit of friction drilling - also known as flow drilling. We make thin walled manifolds at work and the flow drill gives enough material that a 12ga steel tube can have NPT threads. 

Another cool technique I have tried in the past is thermite welding. I helped repair a piece of cast for a traction engine and did it the "way it would have been done" when the engine was in use. 

• Thanks 1