Replacing input pinion shaft in a standard 3 speed?

'41 Fat Bottom Girl

It's been since the '70s when I took 3 speeds apart, mainly those were total disassembly and repair, and I can't remember if it is possible to replace the input (pinion) shaft from the front of the tranny, if that is the only part with a problem. I think I remember with some trannys, the mating countershaft gear (on the secondary layshaft) prevents that without removing the secondary first (pretty much a total tear down).

With the '41 standard 3 speed, is this the case, or is it possible to reinstall it from the front without doing a total tear down? If I am careful and don't drop a roller bearing into the case or get one sideways, by greasing rollers into the pinion shaft before I slide it back onto the main shaft? Or do I have to take it all apart to replace the input pinion shaft?

Maybe this is wishful thinking.... sometimes life just ain't that simple!

" When you don't know something, the only stupid question is the one not asked"   (by my experience...)

In my '38 3 speed, I seem to recall having to drive the countershaft back out from at the front case. Then the cluster gear could drop. Then the pinion can slide out the front. You're in pretty far by that point.  I am imagining a tranny on the bench. The larger pinion needle bearings stayed in place well. The pesky multiple needle bearings and thrust washers in the counter shaft where more of a problem.  A wood ¾" dowel really helped hold it all together.

Edited by keithb7

Same with the 50 3 speed trannies and also the R-10 OD replacement units, so maybe on some?

DJ