Replacement Keys

1947coupe

I need to get some new keys made for my 1947 D24. I believe the key blanks are Ilco X1199B, does anyone know a good source for these or any cross reference? Are there any markings on the locks that can be used to cut new keys or will they need to be 'impressioned' or have the locks disassembled? Are the ignition and door locks coded the same from the factory? How about the trunk?

Finally, any suggestions for a locksmith in the So Cal area who can do this?

Thanks

If you happen to buy a new ignition lock cylinder these days it uses a later Mopar type key, one that won;t fit into the door lock.  Which in my case is ok since I don't even have a key that fits in the door locks anyway.  Something I do need to address, eventually.  Wonder if a good locksmith can rekey the trunk lock so that one key fits all?  That would leave the glovebox lock to be dealt with though.

Thanks for the replies. I checked eBay and there are plenty of blanks so that part will be easy. Are there any markings on the locks to identify how they are coded or will they need to be taken apart by the locksmith?

Any tips on removing the locks from the car or is it pretty straightforward?

I have the ignition switch out of the car and can't pull the barrel out of the switch because the retaining pin won't depress. I assume this is because I don’t have a key so I would need to grind the pin down with a small carbide cutter if I decide to get a new barrel/key set. Any suggestions of alternative ways to get the barrel out?

used to be you got a small metal tag with the original key code stamped on it.....you recorded that number or placed this tag aside for safe keeping...these things tend to disappear early in the car's life.  

the retaining pin depresses only with the cylinder unlocked and rotated x degrees...you can fairly easily pick this lock when out of the car...once picked, rotated...depress the pin, pull the cylinder and then one can pull the lock pins, and rekey them to a key you have on hand or make your own key...some folks just carry them to the locksmith from the get go....ignition and door should be one and the same key combination...trunk is different and usually this is the same as the glove box if equipped....As late as 1974 one car I have here comes from the factory with 4 keys due to the mix and match of suppliers and making due with what was utilized by other car companies.  Total nightmare to say the least.

I guess it makes sense to have a separate key for the trunk and glovebox.  If you had a valet park the car you'd only need to give him the door/ignition key and your valuables, such as they might be, would be safely locked up in the the glove box or trunk.

These days, no valet parking around here.

• Like 1

a few years ago we here in my town had  a long time locksmith shop that I took a bag on Mopars locks for the Ign./doors and said try to make two door locks that matched and work and a ign. key that worked with an old Ign. switch I had bought and some door locks from EBay. After about a week I called and was told it was done and come get them.

They charged $15 and then another $5 for a duplicate for both keys. $20 for all- Man was I ever happy!!

Sadly they retired and closed up forever.

DJ

On 12/3/2020 at 10:08 AM, Sniper said:

I guess it makes sense to have a separate key for the trunk and glovebox.  If you had a valet park the car you'd only need to give him the door/ignition key and your valuables, such as they might be, would be safely locked up in the the glove box or trunk.

Exactly why it was done that way.  A lot of newer cars had a special 'service' key that only operated the ignition, while the 'real' ignition key fit everything.

GM always had the sloppiest keys. 

In the 60s, when 40s/50s cars were still in regular use, but well worn at Dad's salvage, we had a big box of keys.  If someone needed a GM trunk, glove box or ignition key for a part we sold, we could always find a GM key that fit.  Just try a few from the box.  Never took long.  Couldn't do that with Mopar and Ford stuff.