Skirts or no skirts

Pooshoe

I  had originally thought of skirts for the P15 bz cp....got these, worked out the wave....added my rendition of trim and then placed them on the shelf with all the other custom goodies like cutouts, lake pipes, spots, visor, period correct fog lights etc etc as I decided not to go cookie cutter looks....

MVC-004S.JPG

MVC-005S.JPG

• Like 1

I have never seen a pair of skirts on a 40s thru mid 50s  Plymouth that was not an "overlay" style.  Not sure they ever made one that

went inside the wheel opening.  (Chevys had flush "inside" skirts beginning in 1949).    I have 2 pairs of skirts that are overlays.   I

don't think they look bad....they look just fine for their time.  

January2011328.jpg

Edited by BobT-47P15
  • Like 1

On 12/5/2020 at 5:10 PM, T120 said:

Almost 30 years has passed since seeing a few of these old tail draggers in the proper locale on a cruise . I kinda enjoyed the show ... rather cool!?

223493458_LowriderCoupe.jpg.2cc638c835363f14241e5956bb1668d9.jpg

last originals sea bowl show!  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Robin (UK) said:

Thanks Frank.
The spears are '41 Buick items. They were very popular with customisers in the '40s and early 50s. Check out Harry Westergard's custom builds and you'll see them on a lot of his cars.
The trims became so popular, repro pressed steel versions were made and sold as 'Flo-Wings' and 'Jet-Wings'.
A few period pictures attached...

49142298_10215774558569440_5784985918788075520_n.jpg

s-l1600-14.jpg

1940 Mercury.jpg

going to need some flow wings!

6 hours ago, BobT-47P15 said:

I have never seen a pair of skirts on a 40s thru mid 50s  Plymouth that was not an "overlay" style.  Not sure they ever made one that

went inside the wheel opening.  (Chevys had flush "inside" skirts beginning in 1949).    I have 2 pairs of skirts that are overlays.   I

don't think they look bad....they look just fine for their time.  

January2011328.jpg

Your car always looks good Bob, nice to see you post  again.

11 hours ago, Pooshoe said:

going to need some flow wings!

They are out there, if you search hard.
For info, here are some pictures from my 'archive':
1. 1941 Buick (OEM)
2. Flo Wings (plain)
3. Flo Wings (fake Ford)
4 Jet Wings (Custom)
5. Unknown trims

6. Page from Eastern Auto Supply catalog, 1949

Buick.jpg

Flo Wing Plain.jpg

Flo Wing Ford.jpg

Jet WIng Custom.jpg

Other.jpg

Eastern Auto Supply 1949.jpg

• Like 3

Hi Robin.  I didn't realize there were that many varieties of those trims...but not surprised as there

were all sorts of items from many suppliers in the 40s, 50s and 60s.  Cool collection you have there.  

Another thing they made many varieties of was these "bug deflectors" that mounted on the hood.    A few, like

this one even had a working propeller.  

101_8287.jpg

Several years ago Tim sent me this deflector with  a chrome "naked lady" on it.

DSC09620.jpg

Edited by BobT-47P15

26 minutes ago, BobT-47P15 said:

Several years ago Tim sent me this deflector with  a chrome "naked lady" on it.

This is the first picture I have seen of the ornament mounted.   When I saw this I told Don Coatney who was visiting at the time that this was Bob T 100%.   The place I found this was a huge warehouse chocked full of box after box of stuff like this as the man had bought out the inventory of a couple closed Western Auto stores.....remember Western Auto, they were always fun to walk through and we also had a similar store that went by the name White's  

Miss my buddy Don....!

Yes Tim........I also miss Don.   We got to do some things together over the years, including participation in the P15-D24 "Great Race" in Tulsa in

When I was growing up in Aurora, Missouri (a town of approx 5,000) back in the 1950s, we had a Western Auto store right next door to an Oklahoma Tire and Supply

(which later became OTASCO).  They carried a lot the same merchandise including car parts of various types.   I remember buying from one of them a set of 4

"spinners" or "flippers" to bolt onto some wheel cover of your choice to fancy them up.  I attached them to some 1957 Ford full wheel covers (14 inch)....painted over the

Ford script in the middle with gold paint....and put them on the parents' 1960 Chevy station wagon, which came with the small "dog dish" caps.  Looked pretty good, actually.

Eventually, someone stole them.  Guess they liked 'em too.

I also added "portawalls" whitewalls and 59 Cadillac taillight lenses (which glued right over the short, pointed 60 Chevy lenses).

100_3105.jpg

Edited by BobT-47P15

when was the last time she asked you  tp pick out her dress hand bag and shoes..

My wife always asks my opinion on clothing. I guess we have a mutual respect for each other and love doing things together. That includes helping with the car when required. When we bought our 37 Plymouth I was actually looking at a Model a fordoor. Sherry (my wife) liked the 37 better. I have to agree with her.

We have been married for 26 years and she is my best friend. Why wouldn't I want her opinion?

• Like 1

It sounds like I have a 1 in a million wife. We share the same likes and dislikes in almost everything. She loves driving our Plymouth or just going out in her for any reason, many times to Mac & Don's for an Ice Cream. Had I bought the Model A, in England it would have been just another old car. We get lots of admirers with our Plymouth and almost always people take photos of the car. Once a policeman asked me what make the car was and then took a photo of it. It turned up on their public web page. We went to a car show and met a man & wife with a beautiful 1933 Rolls Royce. His wife said she liked our car better. I'm glad I listened to my wife. Sometimes she has a better head on her shoulders than me.