Skirts or no skirts

Pooshoe

I noticed on the internet a 37 plymouth with skirts. I liked the looks of them and was concidering getting a pair.

Then I remembered a very important detail, I ask my wife. She was not too keen on them. Well... actually she said no way!

Lesson: Always ask the wife first and save the hassel.

• Like 1

I prefer the "form fitting" skirts, too.  The ones that fit in the wheel opening, or at least match the opening like yours.  I think they have a much cleaner look.  To me, those skirts look like low slung cruiser.  Without, it looks like low slung hot rod.

3 hours ago, SteveR said:

I noticed on the internet a 37 plymouth with skirts. I liked the looks of them and was concidering getting a pair.

Then I remembered a very important detail, I ask my wife. She was not too keen on them. Well... actually she said no way!

if the wife bought the car, was doing the mechanical work, body repairs, paint trim etc..then she would have a say in how it may look....when was the last time she asked you  tp pick out her dress hand bag and shoes...? PMRYB

Edited by Plymouthy Adams
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, SteveR said:

LOL.....I don't tell my wife how to shop for her hobbies and she doesn't stick her nose in my mine.

Personally, I would say no to fender skirts. I have never liked them on any car. They also make cleaning tires much more difficult.

I have included a picture of a 1941 Chrysler business coupe with skirts. To me they detract from the car and if the car was mine, removing the fender skirts would be the first thing I did to the car. 

055DDA2E-FB12-420A-A787-46E147486A0B.jpeg.102dfba2140436233e909d1fbdf193a4.jpeg 

Edited by RobertKB
  • Like 1

For me that 41 Chrysler has the wrong sort of skirts, the ones on that car are just like a piece of flat metal, which they are whereas skirts that fit within the wheel arch and have some curve or style to them might add to the car............andyd

• Like 1

On 12/3/2020 at 9:24 AM, Plymouthy Adams said:

if the wife bought the car, was doing the mechanical work, body repairs, paint trim etc..then she would have a say in how it may look....when was the last time she asked you  tp pick out her dress hand bag and shoes...? PMRYB

Sounds like advise from an unmarried man.....

A matter of taste..Fender skirts look good on some cars ,not so on others - same goes for sun visors and wire wheels.

Years ago I was in Reno during Hot August Nights.Downtown one evening the nightly cruise was in progress,it was okay

but after a while it got rather boring with the seemingly endless parade of tri five chevys and the like.

As it was getting dark,a dozen or more late 30's - early 50's tail dragger coupes showed up,maybe from the same car club.

Most had fender skirts,some had sun visors,some with swamp coolers.

Occasionally as if on cue,they would slow down,with some giving a demo of their trick suspension ,others with short bursts

from their flame thrower exhausts.

Not for everyone. A lot of work had gone into their cars. Some have the talent for putting it together,others don't... I know

my limitations so I pretty much stick to stock.?

Anyhow, I enjoyed the show.?

1365685405_taildragger(1).jpg.0753bbc66173416e0e352ed5a3fdd827.jpg

• Like 2

21 hours ago, RNR1957NYer said:

Sounds like advise from an unmarried man.....

My wife has had zero input into how I build my rides.  The only time my wife has input into things automotive is when it is her ride being updated. 

The martial status of the MAN in question is irrelevant. 

• Like 1

Almost 30 years has passed since seeing a few of these old tail draggers in the proper locale on a cruise . I kinda enjoyed the show ... rather cool!?

223493458_LowriderCoupe.jpg.2cc638c835363f14241e5956bb1668d9.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, normanpitkin said:

I hereby apologise for my car looking so terrible. What was I thinking!

9E23200E-1B9B-4DB1-8CB4-64CEC15B788B_1_201_a.jpeg

Not a darn thing wrong with your car Storming Norman!

4 hours ago, Robin (UK) said:

Mea culpa, William!

IMG_1862.jpg

Or Yours Red Robin! I really like the chrome accent on the skirts, what is it off of if you don't mind me asking.  @Robin (UK)

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Frank Elder said:

Not a darn thing wrong with your car Storming Norman!

Or Yours Red Robin! I really like the chrome accent on the skirts, what is it off of if you don't mind me asking.  @Robin (UK)

Thanks Frank.
The spears are '41 Buick items. They were very popular with customisers in the '40s and early 50s. Check out Harry Westergard's custom builds and you'll see them on a lot of his cars.
The trims became so popular, repro pressed steel versions were made and sold as 'Flo-Wings' and 'Jet-Wings'.
A few period pictures attached...

49142298_10215774558569440_5784985918788075520_n.jpg

s-l1600-14.jpg

1940 Mercury.jpg

• Like 1