Spare Key

Kilgore47

The 47 P15 is back in the air again.  Going to replace the brake lines this time.  When I took the front drivers side tire off I noticed something that looked like a clip.  When I moved it I half expected something to release.  Nothing moved so I looked closer.  It's a spare key.  Looks like it could be the original key.  Held in place with a thumb nut.  I'm going to leave it there.

Spare  Key.jpg

1947 P15.jpg

great that I now know where to find your car key...?.....not that it is critical....these cars can be hot wired and GONE IN 60 SECONDS...I have over the course of many cars bought for myself and servicing many cars as a mechanic long years ago stumbled upon many a hidden key.  this practice still continues today even with electronic keys, it is good to have a door key as they still have one on the modern cars just in case you do lock yourself out...been at least two weeks since I have done that.

I have never felt confident in the idea of leaving one of those hidden key deals under my car someplace.  I might have forgotten some long past time when I locked my keys in my car, but can only recall two times, both in Brazil.  The first time I had to pay a locksmith to get in.  The second time I had just been in an accident, where I suspect I was in there unconscious for some unknown amount of time before I got out, locking the keys inside.  That time I used someone's telephone to call the mission center, and have someone come out with the extra set, and drive me home.  But I'll also say that on my first car, it was impossible to lock the key inside by accident - it wouldn't let you do it.  The only way was to use a second key to lock the door from the outside.  - 62 Chrysler.

But as to our old cars, I'm thinking that i will install a kill switch someplace, and also will look at using shielded wires to the ignition, and bolt on a shield over the ignition switch area under the dash.  I figure it would at least slow them down a bit, require some wrenches, maybe even use some of weird type of screws or bolts.