leaf spring silent block

Jac

I managed to removed (drilled out) the so called 'silent blocks' and bushings on both end of both rear leaf springs of my P19.

afbeelding.png.fe41bf0e9842cf53fc79abfd097ef338.png

Does anyone knows a (preferrable cheaper) alternative for the original bushings and silent blocks? I hope that someone of you guys has experience with replacing and did replace then in the past.

After removing the silent blocks, a thin bushing left. Does anyone know if that should stay there, or should be removed?

afbeelding.png.32d9975e7bcdc3a3a0a36a5fd9581ee2.png

I have the idea that the holes are not perfectly round anymore, they look a little oval. Do you think I can just tap them in?

@soth122003 Do you have pictures of the replacement? If so, do you want to share them?

e-bay is your friend, buddy and pal...odds are they will have a listing...you do not need to buy from there but you should look....fewer words typed....immediate answers...

NOS - 1948 to 1952 Rear Spring Silent Bloc Bushings (4) Plymouth, Dodge, Desoto, | eBay

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

• 2 years later...

you are tagging in on a silent block thread....the silent block and shackle bushings are two distinctly different animals, the silent blocks do need pressed in and are a pain to removed.  I changed a set of silent blocks, the blocks were not bad it turns out but they were by the time I got them out....on inspection next time around with spring rebuild, the silent block stayed as there rarely by my experience are damaged.   

Plymouthy by chance would you know where I could buy these parts circled the leaf spring brackets and these little look like plugs that go in these holes as well as the center bolt where the ubolt plate rides in please since I'm re doing the bushings might as well get pretty much new parts all the way ha ha and again thank you for all your help 

20230731_165526.jpg

20230731_165258.jpg

Just to confirm Plymouthy's statement that the Silent Block is ONLY at the front eye of the spring and the thin metal tube left after the Silent Block is removed is the outer shell of the original Silent Block and it too must be removed to allow a new Silent Block to be pressed into the front spring eye...............make sure when pressing the new Silent Block into the spring eye that you apply pressure to the outer metal tube NOT to the inner metal  tube as doing so "may" tear the inner tube away from the vulcanised rubber between the inner and out metal tubes.........and as Plymouthy states the Silent Blocks are a fairly long wearing item...........andyd  

Yep, the only issue that I can recall is what side the spring shackle has been attached from, whether after undoing the shackle plate you can get the shackle off or if there is enough space to remove/reinstall the rubber bushings........at least thats my memory.......andyd

My silent blocks were sacked. I ended up drilling out the rubber leaving the outer sleeve. Then I found bushings at napa that fit. I pressed the old inner sleeve in with silicone grease. As for the shackles, I sourced n.o.s loaded shackles. There was a thread about it where I listed the part numbers.