1946 Dodge WC 1/2 Ton Pickup Frame Swap

JeffH

Just bought a complete driving 46 WC 1/2 Ton.  My plan is to purchase a complete new rolling frame already set up with suspension, axels, etc and setup to take the body and a carbureted 318 or similar mopar engine and trans (manual if possible). I'm sure that someone out there has done this already so looking for options. 

I think the closest you'll get is the company that sells all the adapter pieces you need to modify an s10 frame to work. Unfortunately I can't remember the company name. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, billschwindt said:

It would be best to use the Dakota , fits much better than the S-10 frame ,how do I  know, I have 49  1/2 ton pilothouse on  Dakota.

Keep in mind the pilot house is a very different truck than a W series

• Like 1

while asking if this or that will fit....it is good to find someone who may have already put a few bricks in the road as they say....but many modifiers do not just stop at swapping a frame...they venture to other upgrades, wider wheels and higher speed profile tires come to mind.  Wheel base and width are just a couple minor issues in the big picture.  This can be very deflating to build a vehicle only to find yourself again limited at what you may or may not be able to do to attain that 'image' in your mind of the completed project.  Write down on paper your main objective, do get some measurements, Dakotas and S10 are still plentiful, as are Rangers for that matter that will not cause for wheel bolt pattern changes.  Dakota will require 6 lugs after X year forward and early models are the prime consideration.  But being a truck and not a car, 6 lug would not be an issue for me as it is for a car....6 lugs on a car...just don't spell forward thinking.  Many retrofits can be accomplished but often at the sacrifice of a few stock components....sadly wheels are usually the first to go and therefore if stock wheels are important to you to retain....they need to be at the very forefront of your planning stage.  Most all modern vehicles are running positive offset to some degree..also the moving away from standard ole style hubs to flat face 'forever greased' double bearings.  Mixing and matching will take lots of attention to the minor details/aspects of all parts that will be co-mingled in the build.  Dakota is a fine donor....S10 will require much attention to braking issues as the original ones fell way shy of ample braking with anything other than a spare tire in the truck bed, remember, one will have need to slow and or stop occasionally.  Good luck with your build, but do grab pencil paper and rule.

On 11/30/2020 at 7:43 AM, Plymouthy Adams said:

while asking if this or that will fit....it is good to find someone who may have already put a few bricks in the road as they say....but many modifiers do not just stop at swapping a frame...they venture to other upgrades, wider wheels and higher speed profile tires come to mind.  Wheel base and width are just a couple minor issues in the big picture.  This can be very deflating to build a vehicle only to find yourself again limited at what you may or may not be able to do to attain that 'image' in your mind of the completed project.  Write down on paper your main objective, do get some measurements, Dakotas and S10 are still plentiful, as are Rangers for that matter that will not cause for wheel bolt pattern changes.  Dakota will require 6 lugs after X year forward and early models are the prime consideration.  But being a truck and not a car, 6 lug would not be an issue for me as it is for a car....6 lugs on a car...just don't spell forward thinking.  Many retrofits can be accomplished but often at the sacrifice of a few stock components....sadly wheels are usually the first to go and therefore if stock wheels are important to you to retain....they need to be at the very forefront of your planning stage.  Most all modern vehicles are running positive offset to some degree..also the moving away from standard ole style hubs to flat face 'forever greased' double bearings.  Mixing and matching will take lots of attention to the minor details/aspects of all parts that will be co-mingled in the build.  Dakota is a fine donor....S10 will require much attention to braking issues as the original ones fell way shy of ample braking with anything other than a spare tire in the truck bed, remember, one will have need to slow and or stop occasionally.  Good luck with your build, but do grab pencil paper and rule.

Thanks for all the great advice.  Lots to consider.  Can you tell me the range of good years for Dakota's to consider?

When I read your first post, I searched what Radar refers to. I would search for a donor truck with a 318, five speed. The standard cab trucks have a 111.9” and a 123.9” wheel base. You will need to change that to 116” for what you are attempting. You could drive your 46 for awhile, till you get everything together. But, that’s just the purist in my thinking. My first truck was a 46, I bought it for $75 and drove to Seattle, down the Pacific coast highway and secondary roads to Sacramento. Worked a couple jobs and drove back to Montana in Sept. 1970. I was 22, and of course, life was different 50 years ago. Enjoy your old truck, while you can, and kick your butt later. I guess I’m suggesting a slower progression to your long term project. You could be hauling the 318 to the machine shop in the 46. Take lots of pictures. 

• Like 1

You will be surprised at what a washing of the cab with cheap soap pads like SOS, will do for the color. Nice truck JeffH. You will also be surprised at the comments you will get, when getting gas and going to the parts store. People just can’t believe a 74 year old truck is still getting around. I’ve had quite a few men and women, take a picture of my 47, 1 ton, flatbed, when I come out of a convenience store. Old survivors, seem to have a lot more credibility in them. I’ll pm a picture of my truck to you, so I don’t distract from your thread. Keep on Truckin.

Edited by 9 foot box

• 1 year later...