1940 Chrysler Coupe Window TLC

dangulo

Hello,

It has been a while since I posted anything here so... hello there. I am finally starting to give my windows some TLC, and will now be attempting to replace both driver/passenger windows for obvious reasons (cracked windows). As I am ordering parts for whiskers and so forth, I was able to find the clips from Restoration Specialties.

The original cat whiskers were held on by clips and pretty straight forward on how to remove/install.

My first step was to measure and bend the one edge of the sweeper as close as I can comparing it to old whisker. Once I was happy with the radius bend (not perfect but good enough), I matched the holes on the new sweeper where the clips are installed to snap on the door itself. The approached I used was to use a drill bit (11/64) where I was able to elongate the holes to keep the clip wide open. In the end, it seemed to work but was hoping anyone could provide any insight on a better and more efficient way to re-create the holes that allows clips to snap on. 

Pictures below are some parts and some hard to find parts ;). The before and after where I am matching the radius bend to old, and lastly the end result.

Sweeper seems to be in really tight and fits as supposed to (I hope.. LOL).

IMG_3159.jpg

IMG_3161.jpg

IMG_3162.jpg

IMG_3163.jpg

IMG_3164.jpg

IMG_3166.jpg

IMG_3167.jpg

IMG_3169.jpg

IMG_3170.jpg

IMG_3172.jpg

I did not care for the clips as show for fitting into the formed fuzzy strips...there is no real good way I found to insert these once vulcanized in making the fuzzies.  I used another method as was that of several car makers of the era and used retainers that grip the fuzzy then pop into the now owner induced slightly enlarged holes stock position.  Look into you pictured catalog for other methods of attachment and see if you may want to do similar.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty productive weekend, was able to install new glass for both driver and passenger. Overall it was a good learning experience and there are some things I would approach differently but in the end the windows roll up/down as they are meant to and there is no rattling.. yet ;)

Now maybe its time to start looking to make or buy door panels.

IMG_3200.jpg

IMG_3201.jpg

IMG_3213.jpg

IMG_3214.jpg

IMG_3209.jpg