Happy Thanksgiving

Conn47D24

I have been up since way early...saw a bald eagle at the edge of our little town as I ran to town for a few last minute needs.  Saw a bald eagle flying above the field behind the AG center coming home, probably the same bird.  Back to the house, I just finished making my fruit salad.   Looks like rain, should be welding my shop doors together but got an engagement I would upset a few folks if I did not show for a bit.  Not a wasted day, ran 24 foot of closures on the shop roof this morning...6 more feet to go.  

• Like 2

Good day to reflect back and count our blessings. Be happy Thanksgiving only comes once a year  :D

Baked pumpkin pies last night, turkey in the roaster at 9:30 am, bread crumbs roasting in the oven for dressing .... eggs boiling for deviled eggs 2 sink loads of dishes washed .... 

While I love all the good food, what I think I love best is leftovers. All the work is done and just heat and serve  :)

Hope everyone has a great day

• Like 2

Just me and my wife this year. Strange, yet nice. Worked around the yard and in the garage for a couple of hours this morning. Just ate a big meal of roast beef, mashed potatoes, gravy, stuffing, corn and cranberry sauce. Now watching football and perusing the internet. Thankful for where I am, who and what I have in my life. Happy Thanksgiving everyone! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

that is the first bald eagle I have seen in this general vicinity....have seen them in northern part of the state and that is seldom.  He was something to see for sure....and of course....wife and I both left our phone/camera at home....rare for her...a given for myself...we were no more than 15 foot from this grand bird as we drove past him.

• Like 1

We see eagles here so often most people take them for granted.  Most of the time just seen soaring on the currents, adults and juveniles alike but can be seen occasionally on the ground and sometimes fairly close up.  It's hard to realize how big they are until you see one close up.  I never have a camera with me either when I  see them close up.

• Like 1

The infamous T of 46 and 41!

I almost bit it there one dark night in my Pontiac, when blinded by oncoming trucks & I nearly missed the turn.

In 1979 I met one of the Turnupseed boys while renting out tractors in a Fresno lot. I freaked a bit when I saw the name Turnupseed on the side of a 1950's ford pickup, because I knew the story.

My friend Mac, at the memorial near the diner in Chalome circa 2005.

DSCF0791.JPG.5a0f8c2c0907995f38c12b1aa065c06a.JPG

Edited by Ulu
typos

I was feeling punky this year, and a couple of the grandkids had sniffles. My wife & sister were both too paranoid to have a family dinner, so it was just the wife and I. We still cooked roast turkey, mashed potatoes, candied yams, green beans, scratch biscuits, gravy, and I made candy as well.

I don't do the marshmallows on the yams thing. I use butter, maple syrup, and peach schnapps. The two of us killed half a can of cranberry sauce with the biscuits.

Then there was real hot chocolate with vanilla ice cream.

I missed the family, but my food was really hot this year. ;)

Edited by Ulu

Only time of the year you can tell your buddy to get stuffed and mean well by it......hope all had a good meal and time with their family/friends as much as the virus afforded us anyway.   Out early this morning to a slow drizzle....kinda puts a damper on my intended welding....going to try to move it indoors, got to move the stack of the remaining building supplies first.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, lonejacklarry said:

As bad as this year has been for some it is still a lot better than some years past.

turkey loaf.jpg

I had that for Thanksgiving in '83 on a small Caribbean island!  I remember that it wasn't the worst C-Rat, which isn't saying much...

On 11/27/2020 at 7:34 AM, Dan Hiebert said:

I had that for Thanksgiving in '83 on a small Caribbean island!  I remember that it wasn't the worst C-Rat, which isn't saying much...

The worst, in my opinion, was the ham and limas.  One had to guess which end to open.  One end had a 1/2" layer of solidified grease and the other was barely edible ham and lima beans  A lot of little kids got the ham and limas.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, lonejacklarry said:

The worst, in my opinion, was the ham and limas.  One had to guess which end to open.  One end had a 1/2" layer of solidified grease and the other was barely edible ham and lima beans  A lot of little kids got the ham and limas.

Yep, after I learned which bugs you could safely eat, I think I'd rather have eaten bugs than ham and lima beans.  Thankfully,  there was always that one GI that liked them, so whoever in the unit drew one, they could trade with him. 

I took this picture outside Fairmount, Indiana in 1994 as I drove my 1938 Dodge pickup from Ohio to Minnesota. The exhaust broke just in front of the muffler as I turned into the cemetery. Not quite loud enough to wake the dead.

Pete

172404129_JamesDean0.jpg.aa7a199a65eb318b7b2a66ead66563fc.jpg