Rear main seal and "h" pieces

Dan Heston

We are now rebuilding our 1951 Dodge flathead 230 after the machine work was completed. We have the Best Gasket 3685 rubber seal for the rear main. That kit comes with small pieces of rubber in the shape of an "h". The rear journal seams to fit nicely so I can't help but think that the h rubber isn't needed. Can someone help me figure this out?

The Best brand gasket set I had when I was playing with a 230 had two different styles of "H" rubber seals.......and as my car, a 201 cubed 1941 Plymouth had NO "H" seals I installed the pair that fitted more better.........lol..........my cars 201 should have also had a rope seal yet it had a neoprene seal.......lol...........anyway after installing the "H" seals the oil leak dropped dramatically............the rear main cap must have some sort of seal there as it does leave an ever so small gap without these seals...............andyd  

• Thanks 1

There is a groove these pieces fit in.  The rear main cap fits tight to the block at the bearing saddle but not at the outside edges, that is why these H seals are important !