New to the forum

Mertz

I have owned a 1940 Plymouth truck for about 30 years. It came from Montana and other than a lot of dents was in pretty good shape. 2 weeks ago I started disassembly and am down to the frame with drive train in and cab on.  I removed the head to check engine condition but unfortunately broke off several head bolts. Engine was very clean inside. I also have an industrial engine replacement with a 30 overbore.

I’m looking forward to getting the advice from all the experts on this forum. 

18 minutes ago, Mertz said:

I have owned a 1940 Plymouth truck for about 30 years. It came from Montana and other than a lot of dents was in pretty good shape. 2 weeks ago I started disassembly and am down to the frame with drive train in and cab on.  I removed the head to check engine condition but unfortunately broke off several head bolts. Engine was very clean inside. I also have an industrial engine replacement with a 30 overbore.

I’m looking forward to getting the advice from all the experts on this forum. 

Welcome to the group.  Where are you at?  My cousin has a 41 Plymouth pickup.  (He's in Oklahoma.)  

Edit:  I see you said 'truck", not pickup.  Lots of folks use the terms interchangeably, but maybe you have an actual truck.

Edited by Eneto-55

1 hour ago, Eneto-55 said:

Welcome to the group.  Where are you at?  My cousin has a 41 Plymouth pickup.  (He's in Oklahoma.)  

Edit:  I see you said 'truck", not pickup.  Lots of folks use the terms interchangeably, but maybe you have an actual truck.

Plymouth trucks only ever came as 1/2 tons. Welcome. I've got 3 41-47 dodges and a 40 plymouth all 1/2 tons. You should also post on the truck side of the forum

4 minutes ago, Young Ed said:

Plymouth trucks only ever came as 1/2 tons. Welcome. I've got 3 41-47 dodges and a 40 plymouth all 1/2 tons. You should also post on the truck side of the forum

Speaking of the 41 Plymouth pickup, my cousin is lacking the hood ornament.  As you can see with my truck vs PU blunder, I'm not up on that side of things.  But as I understand, the 41 is an 'orphan' in terms of interchangeability of parts.  If I could somehow get access to one in fair shape to make a mold, I think I could get some cast in aluminum in an area shop here.  (Then have them chromed.  But this is all off-topic, because Mertz has a 40 model.)

Welcome Mertz!

Great to hear there's another Plymouth truck person on here. Not too many 39-47 Dodge guys, let alone 39-41 Plymouth fellas / (Being politically correct) and ladies. I think I speak for most of us? We like pictures! Not to meaning to UN-inspire, I've been working on my truck for 41 years now, and it's still not finished. lols.

This is a great forum!

Steve ☺️??

The tag says 4200lbs   I’m going need some front fenders and the cab roof needs a lot of work. The frame is solid except where the bumpers attach. Engine turns over easily. 

018AA4FC-3F33-441B-A152-06B237A8F592.jpeg

5D279837-42F2-4483-B46D-F9A95AB8E6B6.jpeg

• Like 2

I have spent years wanting to do a decent restoration on this truck. I have replacement fenders for the rear which aren’t bad. I would still need to find some front fenders which are really bad or it would not be safe to drive. I’m working on mechanics first then I’ll worry about the body. The bed should be easy since I’m an experienced wood worker. 

BYW. I took a class in which I rebuilt a 283 but I could not bring myself to put it in the truck so I sold it. It went into a 67 Chevy truck. 

• Like 2

Welcome to the forum, good looking truck.

I welcome you to your new hobby of metal working  :D

Yeah those fenders are rough, be even rougher finding fenders in better shape. The plymouth I think is rare to find. I am just guessing on that.

You could hammer out a lot of that on the left front fender shown. Then hammer and dolly  to make it smoother, then you may probably need to make and weld some patch panels. You can do this with basic tools and skills, you will just need to learn and enjoy the process.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Eneto-55 said:

Speaking of the 41 Plymouth pickup, my cousin is lacking the hood ornament.  As you can see with my truck vs PU blunder, I'm not up on that side of things.  But as I understand, the 41 is an 'orphan' in terms of interchangeability of parts.  If I could somehow get access to one in fair shape to make a mold, I think I could get some cast in aluminum in an area shop here.  (Then have them chromed.  But this is all off-topic, because Mertz has a 40 model.)

Orphan in some ways yes but for the most part the plymouth trucks are a lot of 1 year only stuff. The 41 at least shares quite a bit with 41-47 dodge pickups. I used to have a mint 41 hood ornament but I sold it to a guy in our club. That hood ornament is for sure 41 only while 39-40 share

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Mertz said:

The tag says 4200lbs   I’m going need some front fenders and the cab roof needs a lot of work. The frame is solid except where the bumpers attach. Engine turns over easily. 

018AA4FC-3F33-441B-A152-06B237A8F592.jpeg

5D279837-42F2-4483-B46D-F9A95AB8E6B6.jpeg

Fenders look fineeee,  that'll all just buff out :)

Welcome. I think you will find with time and a little patience the wealth of knowledge on this forum. Using the search option, you'll find several decades of knowledge. Plus, as I'm sure you've noticed already the willingness of all us to help with any questions.

Welcome aboard.