5spd trans in ‘47 WF 1.5 ton

Has anyone installed a 5spd in one of these trucks? I picked up a transmission and bell housing and did some measuring this evening. As the 5spd is longer, I’m wondering if it‘a necessary to cut the frame support making clearance for the trans brake? Also looks like the shifter will be located about 7” forward of the 4spd hole in floor. Transmission is stamped 1948 on top. Thanks for any thoughts

1 hour ago, 47 dodge 1.5 ton said:

Has anyone installed a 5spd in one of these trucks? I picked up a transmission and bell housing and did some measuring this evening. As the 5spd is longer, I’m wondering if it‘a necessary to cut the frame support making clearance for the trans brake? Also looks like the shifter will be located about 7” forward of the 4spd hole in floor. Transmission is stamped 1948 on top. Thanks for any thoughts

Unless you happened to find an overdrive I don't think the extra gear will help you any

I’ll be gaining a granny gear, slower reverse, and a little easier shifting over the strait cut gear 4 speed. High gear will still be 1.00: 1 ratio so don’t think I loose much on top except the extra weight. I’m just not sure about altering this truck as it is really nice to be hacking up.

Edited by 47 dodge 1.5 ton

I have a 5 spd in my 49 B2JA.  Only 4th and 5th are synchronized.  Same final drive ratio as the 3 spd in my 49 1 ton @ 1.00-1. You should check the front mounts to see if you need to swap bell housings, and the location of the parking brake handle.  Then there is the drive shaft length and yoke size.  Not trying to be negative, just pointing out the things that you may want to check.

• Like 1

Yes, I will most likely need to address the parking brake, hoping I can switch over from the 4 speed. Drive shaft to the carrier brg will need shortened and changed to later style yoke. I appreciate all thoughts, I like to evaluate issues before any cutting takes place. This is just an enhancement, not a necessity but think it may be worth the switch so far. Thanks, Kevin

Just curious Kevin, why the need or want for “gaining a granny gear and a slower reverse”

I’d leave it, unless the original is toast ( just my 2 pennies) 

“if it ain’t broke.......” (give it to me , I’ll break it) ?

That 5 speed will be a non synco trans too unless it's the lighter duty syncro 5 speed. Very unlikely.

Before you install it if you do...

look inside to check it out.

The granny low gears are real nice backing up loaded, moving around the fields with a load or wagon ect..  All of our Dodge farm trucks have been set up this way over the years except my 2006 3500 6spd Cummins— and backing up with a loaded trailer is just painful. Adds to a lot of hopping on the tail end. The ‘47 doesn’t have a 2spd rear to help accommodate as well. No— this is not an actual synchronized transmission, just better than strait gears, they are helix cut with I believe (3) head gears for improved alignment so thinking that would be 3rd, 4th, and 5th.

You fully understand the trans and what you are doing with it?

Wish I knew you wanted a W series 5 speed and lived close by....I would have sold it real real cheap.

Not much of a market for those!

Took one out of a 2 ton years ago.

It will get scrapped most likely.☹

Is there anyway you can get pictures of the hand brake set up on the side and back with a tape measure in the picture? Also trying to figure out how the shifter removes from the top housing as it’s different from the 4spd?

FC347B05-AB04-4F4C-A57A-06C9B9E319BD.jpeg

Edited by 47 dodge 1.5 ton

Pics of the w series speed trans e-brake...

Sorry about the rotated pics...anymore cannot correct rotated pics...

20201119_142546_compress5.jpg

20201119_142408_compress75.jpg

12 hours ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

Sorry about the rotated pics...anymore cannot correct rotated pics...

If you are using Windows 10, I have found the same problem,

you can rotate them but when you post or download to a program they were not saved.

If you crop the photo, even ever so slightly and save or save a copy, that seems to work.

It's been happening lately on the phone and desktop.

I have noticed more people.too have been having the same issue.

I edit the photo's, rotate in different ways...sometimes works sometimes not....I just am at the point I don't want to take the time and effort anymore.

I've found most times it's not the way I take the pictures either.

If it gets worse...no more pictures.