BXVES-3 Carb Rebuild - Needle Valve and Seat

Stargrinder

I guess nothing can be easy when working on these old cars.  So here goes.  I ordered a rebuild kit for my carburetor (BXVES-3) on my '50 Coronet.  Kit I got has a different needle valve and seat then the stock (despite the fact it is supposed to be a direct replacement).  Anyway the new float and valve that came in the kit was a "Daytona Float Valve" which is supposed to be an improvement over the stock needle.  However the inner diameter of the housing does not fit the stock fuel line.   So frustrating.  

I went ahead and stuck with the stock needle setup but want to know if anyone of you fine MOPAR folks have any suggestions for making the conversion.

Option one is to change the hard fuel line and fitting on the vehicle to fit the fitting but I really did not want to do that.  The other option is to find some type of reducer  to take what I believe is a 5/16" fine thread down to a 1/8" fine thread.  The challenge is that my local auto parts shops don't have reducers of that size.  

Here are some pics to show the difference between stock and the Daytona float valve. 

IMG_5636.JPG.39f354cfeaede01697bae94ff9660c70.JPG

Fitting on the left is stock.  I believe it is 5/16" fine thread.  The one on the right is the Daytona which is a 1/8" fine thread so the stock fuel line male connector is much too large.

IMG_5639.JPG.b95781f6d9e14eba165f510a2a0a2145.JPG

Fitting on the Left is the Daytona float valve which has a larger needle than the stock.

IMG_5640.JPG.eff6f04bd27f32a1f7d95e22b4f2fbdc.JPG

This photo shows the design change.

Any suggestions and/or recommendations are appreciated.  Thanks!

Edited by Stargrinder

The one on the left looks like it’s an inverted flare fitting, like for a brake line type fitting commonly used in the fuel system too. The right side fitting appears to be 1/8” NPT. Any good hardware store should have an 1/8” male NPT X 5/16” inverted flare fitting. 

• Thanks 1

I just used the same kit. I used a 90 degree fitting. Male end is 1/8-27 pipe thread and female is inverted flare. I faced the inverted flare straight down and made a new fuel line to the pump. I found the fitting at O’Reilly Auto Parts. If you try a straight adapter you won’t have room between the carb and the heater box. Trust me I tried. If you can’t find a fitting with a male end a female end will work with the pipe nipple included in the kit.

17 hours ago, Merle Coggins said:

The one on the left looks like it’s an inverted flare fitting, like for a brake line type fitting commonly used in the fuel system too. The right side fitting appears to be 1/8” NPT. Any good hardware store should have an 1/8” male NPT X 5/16” inverted flare fitting. 

Agree.   That needs an NPT to inverted flare fitting. Should be a stock item at any auto parts place.