51 b-3-c electric ignition

Rubenrod51

I'd go /6 dist conversion. You need a /6 electronic ignition distributor. You have to turn the outside of it down slightly which is easily accomplished with a drill press or a cordless drill and a file. Then you can swap the shaft from your orig dist into the /6 and the rest will bolt in.

Are you sure there is no tag on side of distributor? 6 or 12 volt does not matter at the points.  I think you will need a resistor from the coil, or before the coil ... but points wont care.

Excuse my ignorance for correct answer, but someone will chime in and correct me  :D

Just saying, the points are the same 6v or 12v, you would run a ballast resistor before or aft of the coil, same time if you have correct coil would not need resistor ... but has nothing to do with your points. Just depends on how your car wiring was converted.

My point is, no pun intended ... points are just a switch and easy to clean replace ... condensers are what often go out.

I really like the idea of using the /6 or slant 6 distributor body, and the shaft from a flat 6, You are using factory parts that are available at local parts store. If you search this site for slant 6 conversion you will find a lot of info.

I hear great things about petronix, If the module goes out in the middle of no-where, you going to need a flatbed to get home. While a local parts store you may have a chance to buy parts needed to get going again. I will say many love petronix and no issues, while others who have issues.

Most problems I hear, people not not follow instructions while installing the petronix.

Just did the points/condenser in mine as part of a distributor swap.  Haven’t touched the ones in my one ton other than to gap them for the 25 yrs I’ve had it.

That’s the thing,my 51 was last insured in 1965. I cleaned and set the points as part of checking it over to get it running. Had i not left key on and burned the points they would still be working fine. Got replacements without looking very hard. 
thinking seriosly about the slant 6 conversion. 
May have a source for a couple. 

Edited by Tooljunkie