Sun visors

Sniper

Need some help here.  My 51 Cambridge has no interior sun visors, I think I can feel the brackets behind the headliner and I believe they were optional.

Rockauto lists visors but I believe they are just the upholstered parts and not the metal part it slides onto to and bolts to the brackets I mentioned.

Anyone know the donors that would work?  Or maybe even a lead on an NOS set?  If someone actually had a picture of the bracket behind the headliner that would be awesome.  Occasionally I see something on ebay that is claimed to fit, but since I don't have any to compare I am not sure.

Thanks in advance. 

All I have is the metal brackets for the B series trucks. I am thinking nothing you want to see.

I wonder if they are different from the cars of that era?

I do have my shoes off and not going out tonight .... let me know if you want photo's of what my truck offers will provide them tomorrow.

• Like 1

Thanks for the offer, but my brackets are hidden behind the headliner.  I was hoping for someone with a Hollander's and could give me an interchange.  I found a set on Ebay that is listed for 49-50 Plymouths and while the price isn't bad I'd prefer not to waste any money if possible.

I guess I need to cough up for a parts book.

My book says arm, visor with bracket 1246170 for 4d club coupe and suburban with 2 dr sedan and business coupe listed as use as required. 

1246171 is not a valid 51 part # according to the numerical index. I wonder if the listing has a typo on the last digit? 

• Like 1

I don't know, there is a different listing for just one NOS arm that clearly shows the number and it is 1246171.  I wonder if that's a casting number for just the base and the assembly is the number you mention?  That would be consistent with later Mopar casting vs part numbers.

I might just buy it anyway and see.  Thanks a bunch

For Part # 1246170  my '49 parts manual calls out a quantity of "2" for each model, so no left/right. Same part number for both sides.  This part number is listed as "ARM, Visor, Assembly (includes BRACKET)".   There are 9 different "PANEL, Visor Trim, Assembly"  to cover the 7 different models of '49 Plymouth all with QTY of "2" so again , no left/right.  Same part # on both sides.

• Like 1

Further to my last:   My flea market find visor arms with masonite board but no fabric, all have #1246171 cast on the back of the triangular mounting plate.  So I'm guessing this mounting plate plus the arm, spring, and spring retaining washer, all with their own P/Ns, make up the 1246170 ARM Assembly.  

• Like 1

the area behind the head liner will be the holes for inserting the curved spring loaded end of the visor rod and as the spring rod and mount are assembled as one piece the prepped mounting surface is all you should have in place.  Other cars in wrecking yards could offer up a workable substitute.  The fiberboard of the originals do not survive exposure very well....but if left dry they are remarkedly in good serviceable shape on the average.  NOW  when reading your post I may be totally confused on what you were referring to behind your headliner.

I believe, based solely on feel as I haven't pulled my headliner down to look, that the bracket the visors mount to is there.  The proof in the pudding will be when I poke holes in the headliner to mount the visors, that will be the point of no return, lol.  My headliner is in really good shape so I better not mess it up.  As for the cardboard and whatnot, the visors I am getting are rough in that area, hence the cheap price, but I can get that part new and upholstered in a variety of colors.  Not cheap but I am tired of the sun in my eyes.

I hope the ones you bought work out for you.  If they don't, by that time you will have poked a hole in your headliner.  Perhaps if you take a couple pictures of the bracketry and posting them here, it might help with finding appropriate visors.  I have a pair of visors from my 46 Chrysler Royal parts car, that I would gladly send you at no charge if they would work. I can add pictures here if necessary. The upholstery on mine has been stripped down to the masonite.  I'm very handy with my industrial sewing machine, and I just recently upholstered a set for a car that our club is restoring.  So I could easily cover them for you before I send them down to you.  However here's hoping you have success with what you just bought.

• Like 1

FYI......every once in awhile the memory wires connect in an old mans head.  The mounting screws for the sun visors in my '49 parts book are #8-32 x 5/8" machine screws, slotted. oval head, chr. pltd.  "Slotted" in this case means 'Phillips Head" slotted....at least that's  what was on my  car.  I thought the 3 screws on the drivers side were loose.  Turns out one was OK and two were stripped out.  I drilled and tapped for #10-32 machine screws.  What I don't know is if the holes are drilled and tapped when the car leaves the factory without visors (as in your case) or if they get drilled and tapped when the sun visors are ordered either at the assembly plant or the dealership.  Anyhow, I was surprised they were not mounted with sheet metal screws like they used for the inside windshield mouldings .  Regards.

• Like 1

The Cambridge came with one visor for the driver, cardboard.  the right hand side was optional . Holes are pre threaded.  Most any visor for DPCD 49 to 54 will fit  (right and left)  but there are variations in the fabric covering.  54s were vinyl.  Some are plated bases but low line are painted.  I saved a number of them for years.  Sorry, I am not offering them for sale.

• Like 1

Thanks, I go the set off Ebay I mentioned.  Should be here Monday.  I can get new covers easily enough. 

Now if my Cambridge did come with one visor it got removed and not replaced when the new headliner was put in.  It also came with the dome light, which I do have, in a box of spares from the PO.  Consistent with the rest of the hackery i found on this car. 

thanks to everyone that helped.  I can confirm that the visor bases with 1246171 cast into them do indeed fit a 51 Plymouth.

Also, I can confirm that #8-32 x 5/8" oval head machine screws are the proper screws, though I went with stainless phillips head ones from my local Ace, they also had the trims screws, which are oval head sheet metal screws, in stainless. 

Special thanks to SquireBill for the help.

visors.jpg

• Like 1