Borg Warner R10 overdrive

Pooshoe

2 hours ago, pflaming said:

How much was the freight?  From where ro where. Who was the carrier.  The.cardboard box is very interesting. 

That not even half the box’s. They shipped it ups! I think it was 300$ freight and it was shipped form New York and I’m in San Francisco 

On 11/13/2020 at 8:49 AM, Pooshoe said:

That not even half the box’s. They shipped it ups! I think it was 300$ freight and it was shipped form New York and I’m in San Francisco 

Are you near San Francisco or in San Francisco? I live in SF and I have been driving my 3-speed with BW overdrive (fluid coupling AKA Dodge arrangement) for about 15 years and 50K miles.

In the end, I rebuilt the entire unit myself. The re-builder I got it from screwed up the job.

If you decide to go through it yourself, feel free to reach out.

James.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Pooshoe said:
21 hours ago, plyroadking said:

Thats mildly depressing! I ship all mine in an extremely sturdy wood crate. You do a lot of work with overdrives?

I rebuild them occasionally and sell them. I install them in my car and test drive all of them to ensure I'm selling someone an overdrive that I know is going to bolt in and work. I bought a "rebuilt" one 14 years ago for my grandfather's car and it didn't work. Spent my 21st birthday trying to figure them out. Ended up doing it though college to help fund tuition. I've lost count of how many I've been though. I've got several on the bench now that I'll have ready to test drive next spring when the car comes out of storage. 

What part of San Francisco? I grew up by Sacramento, lived in the bay area for awhile. Nobody in modern vehicles seem remember that four drum brakes don't give change on dollar stops. I still get out once and awhile, usually deliver an overdrive or two to fund the trip and trailer treasure acquisitions. I did drive up Lombard street once really, really early one morning in my '40.

• Like 1

On 11/14/2020 at 1:15 PM, plyroadking said:

I rebuild them occasionally and sell them. I install them in my car and test drive all of them to ensure I'm selling someone an overdrive that I know is going to bolt in and work. I bought a "rebuilt" one 14 years ago for my grandfather's car and it didn't work. Spent my 21st birthday trying to figure them out. Ended up doing it though college to help fund tuition. I've lost count of how many I've been though. I've got several on the bench now that I'll have ready to test drive next spring when the car comes out of storage. 

What part of San Francisco? I grew up by Sacramento, lived in the bay area for awhile. Nobody in modern vehicles seem remember that four drum brakes don't give change on dollar stops. I still get out once and awhile, usually deliver an overdrive or two to fund the trip and trailer treasure acquisitions. I did drive up Lombard street once really, really early one morning in my '40.

i grew up in South San Francisco and live in santa cruz area. its alot of fun. Do know what to look for when rebuilding them or what to check to see if its is ok? any pointers?

If you go to the Downloads section in the Forums page take a look at what is labeled as R-10 controls, etc. as it contains three files related to the R-10 overdrive and one has maintenance and repairs and how to inspect. Includes take apart. The pages are posted side ways and kind of bad but it is what I used and the best I could find back when I rebuilt 2 R-10's myself, I was a mechanic but Never worked on automobile  transmissions and I managed, so you can to and others here have even more experience if questions need answering.

Also the standard 3 spd. box section of the trans uses all the same parts as all regular non OD trans except for the mainshaft and the outer box itself, (more holes only really)

Good luck, when the R-10 works correctly you will fall in love!.

DJ

Edited by DJ194950
  • Like 1

On 11/14/2020 at 1:15 PM, plyroadking said:

I got one 15 years ago from someone I will not talk about...it was junk inside and did not function. I went through it myself, replacing a half dozen parts that were out of spec and it has worked every since just fine.

I live in San Francisco out off of Lake Street.  I also have a place in Winters and I have a lift up there...

Yep, driving in this town is so much fun in an old car!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Pooshoe said:

i grew up in South San Francisco and live in santa cruz area. its alot of fun. Do know what to look for when rebuilding them or what to check to see if its is ok? any pointers?

A couple of areas.

1. The main shaft is such that second gear rides up against a machines lip in it. What happens is the face of that lip wears and when you put the gear on even with the thickest snap ring you can find it can be out of spec. The shafts are near impossible to get. What I did was take a NOS second gear down to San Jose to a company called Babbitt Bearing Company (they no longer do Babbitt). I had them Industrial Hard Chrome the rear face of the gear so that when in place the clearance fell at the low end of the specification. The second gear has been quiet as a mouse.

2. The balking ring in the OD. The ring and the part is slides on works by friction. Over time the ring digs a hole into the balking gear. When that happens the friction is no longer within specification and the OD shifting can get flaky or just not work.  Mine was junk from the seller who kept trying to tell me everything was fine. You can go read my 15 years old post on that.  I purchased new ones from Frank Mitchel is cost about $400.  One could weld up the gear and then have it re-hardened over in Oakland at Garner Heat Treat, Inc. The ring is another story as any heat would really screw it up.  I would have that hard chromed to build it up. You could have the gear hard chromed to fill the groove as well. The issue with the gear and the ring is that the "Surface Finish" is all important to the friction the factory used to make this part work. One would have to test a spot that did not wear to get the surface finish profile so that the final profile was the same.

I will be rebuilding my spare OD soon and I will have to deal with both of the above again.

Everything else is fairly straight forward. Remember to pull the little plug cups on the case where the dentent balls ride as dirt gets in there and makes the shifting hard. My "rebuilt" unit had not had that done.

Good luck, James.

IMG_0589.JPG

Sun_balking ring_resize.JPG

• Like 1

On 11/17/2020 at 10:15 AM, James_Douglas said:

specification

On 11/17/2020 at 9:58 AM, James_Douglas said:

I got one 15 years ago from someone I will not talk about...it was junk inside and did not function. I went through it myself, replacing a half dozen parts that were out of spec and it has worked every since just fine.

I live in San Francisco out off of Lake Street.  I also have a place in Winters and I have a lift up there...

Yep, driving in this town is so much fun in an old car!

You live by the Presidio?

On 11/16/2020 at 1:22 PM, DJ194950 said:

If you go to the Downloads section in the Forums page take a look at what is labeled as R-10 controls, etc. as it contains three files related to the R-10 overdrive and one has maintenance and repairs and how to inspect. Includes take apart. The pages are posted side ways and kind of bad but it is what I used and the best I could find back when I rebuilt 2 R-10's myself, I was a mechanic but Never worked on automobile  transmissions and I managed, so you can to and others here have even more experience if questions need answering.

Also the standard 3 spd. box section of the trans uses all the same parts as all regular non OD trans except for the mainshaft and the outer box itself, (more holes only really)

Good luck, when the R-10 works correctly you will fall in love!.

DJ

Thank you for the info I’m going to have to look it up when I get in to this thing!