Veterans' Day

Dan Hiebert

Already 0800 where the sun first shines on the US of A and no Veterans' Day messages yet?  OK, I'll get it started - here's hoping all my brother and sister Veterans on the Forum (and all others for that matter) have a great day.  Some Vets get annoyed from getting thanked for something they willingly did, and would do again, to that I say "too bad", it's admiration earned from service above self.  What are you doing this Veterans' Day?  I imagine most of the parades and usual recognitions are cancelled due to COVID this year, they are here, anyway.  Here in lil' ol' Houlton Maine, we're down to just the Elks Lodge putting on a drive-thru Veterans' dinner, it's usually a dine-in event.  ("As long as there are Elks, Veterans will never be forgotten.")  So I'm off to the Lodge in a little while to help with the cooking, preparation...and serving later this afternoon.  Ought to be fun!  

Happy Veteran's Day to all my fellow squids (and all other branches).  Thank you for your service and sacrifices.  Desert Storm is really starting to feel like a long time ago for me.  

Veteran's Day 2000: I met a WWI vet after the unveiling of their memorial here in Winona.  He was 103.  He died 3 weeks later.

Happy Veterans Day and thank you for your service.  Also one day belated Happy Birthday to my fellow Marines.  The Commandant and Sargent Major posted a motivating message on the Marines.mil site.  It worth the 8 minutes to watch it.  

https://cdn.dvidshub.net/media/video/2011/DOD_108050503/DOD_108050503-1280x720-2765k.mp4

Semper Fi

9 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

if you marines would ever learn to walk on water we could get rid of the navy.......Salutes to all Vets and special salute to those now serving...

We will always need our Navy.  Even Peter needed a craft to step out from...

PA, whenever we were "transported" the crew would host a bull-in-the-ring event out on the main deck, Navy-vs-Marine.  They would always hold it about two/three days into the trip when us Marines were most sea-sick.  I don't recall us ever winning, and of course we never learned....

Just realized that Nicholas was logged into the account.  This is actually my (Nicholas's Dad's) post

Edited by NickPickToo

the walk on water comment has always been a good "poke" between the two forces, I can easily see the sea sick tactic put into play....our Navy is one of the top notch forces in the world....I was a techie for their weapons and communication systems for years before transferring to the Air Force electronic warfare directorate from which I retired some 17 years later...I am not taking from our other defense ministries, they are all elites...the back shops and clericals also are needed to make all this work.....fully support our fighting forces.  Civil Service of 37+ years and combine military service of 32+ years, I have met some of the best folks you can imagine, got fond memories no one can steal from me and overall was the greatest times of my life. 

Whenever the destroyer I was on pulled into port with the carrier we inevitably got into bar fights with jarheads from the carrier's Marine detachment.  Sometimes I think those guys couldn't count because we always outnumbered them and to paraphrase Ron White, I dont know how many sailors it would have taken to whup them, but I know how many we used and that number was all of us.

All in fun though because like siblings fighting, when someone else piled on we all joined together as the Korean cops found out one fine night.  I miss thosedays sometimes.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Sniper said:

Whenever the destroyer I was on pulled into port with the carrier we inevitably got into bar fights with jarheads from the carrier's Marine detachment.  Sometimes I think those guys couldn't count because we always outnumbered them and to paraphrase Ron White, I dont know how many sailors it would have taken to whup them, but I know how many we used and that number was all of us.

All in fun though because like siblings fighting, when someone else piled on we all joined together as the Korean cops found out one fine night.  I miss thosedays sometimes.

Yes.  We could walk on water, but we couldn't count.  But we always came together with our brothers and sisters when it counted.  I suspect when push comes to shove, the same is true today for all US Citizens.  I've got your back when the shift hits the fan, because I know in that moment, you've got mine, even more so if you know the firing order of for the flathead four.