Relocate old coil spring plate to Lower 1947 speical deluxe

Pooshoe

Anyone have and pictures or info on removing the coil over spring plate on the a-arm from the top of the a-arm and relocating it to the bottom of the a-arm to love the front? Is it better to bold or weld it on?
Can I remove the lower a-arm plate and weld I on Top of the a-arm and still clear the cool spring? 

A1DF66F9-BBAB-49A7-B571-2969D54DD3EE.jpeg

• Like 1

I always wanted to do this too, until I decided that I wanted struts and Rack & pinion.

Then I decided I wanted a Cadillac, and the Plymouth has been aging ever since.

(Cadillac gone for 20 years now, but still keeping '47 Plymouth.)

Edited by Ulu

Well,  then bolt And weld is in order.  ?

Jus' kiddin'. ?

Have read about this mod here before and does seem to be a viable way of lowering.

DJ

• Like 1

Original was by rivets, which are just a "fancy" bolt and nut without any threads(lol) to hold it together so for me I'd be just using some nice hi tensile UNF bolts & nuts......if you are a good welder then maybe weld it but your choice.................tho' as a hotrodder I was just thinking that having it bolt together would mean I could send the individual sides and spring plate off to get chromed then bolt it all together................would look nice...............lol.............oops.........back in my Oz corner I'll go now............andydpla 

• Like 1

I have always seen the post on placing the spring plate to the lower side and never could understand the simple "just place it on the bottom" section of the answers given.  The plate is a stamped pieced of metal with a upturned lip that when placed to the bottom in a manner for the spring pocket to be right for the spring will not sit flush to the bottom of the a-arm without some sort of filler material fabricated to fit the pocket of the spring place.  Without this displacement will be very little surface to surface contact and in my opinion asking for future problems...even if welded...the lip is not designed for permanent mounting to other components.  Now if you flip this to a flat to flat mount as it is originally position on the top of the a-arm..no one has ever address the spring pocket and its spring locator function...in either case the snubber is also modified, or at least should be...

5 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

I have always seen the post on placing the spring plate to the lower side and never could understand the simple "just place it on the bottom" section of the answers given.  The plate is a stamped pieced of metal with a upturned lip that when placed to the bottom in a manner for the spring pocket to be right for the spring will not sit flush to the bottom of the a-arm without some sort of filler material fabricated to fit the pocket of the spring place.  Without this displacement will be very little surface to surface contact and in my opinion asking for future problems...even if welded...the lip is not designed for permanent mounting to other components.  Now if you flip this to a flat to flat mount as it is originally position on the top of the a-arm..no one has ever address the spring pocket and its spring locator function...in either case the snubber is also modified, or at least should be...

Exactly right, plus it appears, at least on my 51, that the outer sway bar mount will need addressed as well.  I suppose you could grind or cut the lip off the plate, but it's there to stiffen the plate.

I would add a intermediate plate myself if I were to entertain this thought...that way bolting would keep everything leveled per se and sandwich easily when bolted....retrofit back to stock a plus aspect...as for the sway bar....addressing this would be to add an equal spacer to the frame horn and lower it to match the new location of the a-arm.  Now granted I have not done this mod but this is my thinking process based on the simple design of the components.   As for the brackets for the sway bar...a simple notch on the spacer would be most effective..

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

I’m just going to bolt it . I was going to cut the lip to be honest. If I adder the spacer it would lower the car that much more and I would not mind that. I was also going to reuse the old lower mount and put it on the top of the a-arm.

This is my first run and I’m going mock it up and make sure I have clearance. I have two more arms coming and I also have the two on the car just in case I need to go back to the stock. 

8 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

Snubber? 

• 2 weeks later...

1949 -52 Chrysler's/DeSoto's already have the plate under the A-arm....

20201116_133624_compress40.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/16/2020 at 6:08 PM, Frank Elder said:

Nice mod...I was always told to have at least 2 or 3 threads protruding from the nut, less chance for failure.......are you going to blow it back apart and address the rust issues?

i made a spacer for it i just not have posted the pics and i was going to clean up the rust