1957 Dodge D100 Flathead 6 brake light switch removal

elane352

Greetings,

Is there a special tip or tool I should be aware of to remove my brake light switch?

My master cylinder is mounted on the frame under the cab. The brake light switch screws in on the back top portion of the MC.

There is not a lot of room to get pliers on, or anything else due to the closeness of the switch to the MC's back portion.

I have squirted on penetrating fluid. I could stand to be more patient in waiting for the fluid to do its thing. My guess is that there is a lot of rust in play here.

I also have a little circular/removable trap door, on the floorboard, that allows access to the top of the back portion of the MC. Even still, trying to unscrew the old switch from the top does not look promising. 

Let me know please what is the best and most sensible way to.get the old one off.

Eddie

Ken, 

Thank you for responding. I was thinking the same thing about using a long socket.

I was not smart enough to bring my long sockets with me today (truck is in one state and the majority of my tools in another). I will bring my big sockets the next time.

Napa has a switch socket for less than 10 bucks. Then you know it will work. If you work quicky there should be no need to bleed the system after replacement.  While you are down you might want to consider running a dedicated fused power from the battery died solinoid terminal to the switch. This takes the brake light load off the rest of the lighting circuit.