Clue me in on thought process on my new ride

Slickster

I upgraded my brakes to disc in the front (scarebird) and replaced the rear axle with one from a cherokee ...along with a dual reservoir master cylinder 

stops fantastic !!!!

this winter I will be rewiring the car & adding a over drive transmission ... and I will be going 12 volt... negative ground... r10 o/d I just bought is 12 volt  ...

the car had Coker bias ply tires... the look cool ... but ride terrible ... I'm switching to radials 

• Like 2

On 10/30/2020 at 4:05 PM, keithb7 said:

Hopefully not hy-jacking this thread...Sorry if I am.

Engine has 20w40 modern detergent oil. Ethanol-free fuel. 6V system. A secondary 6V electric fuel pump was used here to pre-prime the fuel system, then it was shut off. The engine started here using the mechanical fuel pump only.

Thank you Keith, saw your video here and on FB.  You really have that car tuned well.

My 49 always takes 10 or so seconds of cranking after sitting for a couple of weeks, the fuel drains all the way back to the tank.  Might look at a fuel pump replacement after watching your video? 

Just for clarification, you did use your priming pump in this video?  Maybe my fuel pump is fine...

Edited by Adam H P15 D30

In my '38  have installed a 6V electric pump. I use it for priming only. About 5 or so seconds of pumping to prime the entire fuel system. Then I shut if off and start the engine using just the stock mechanical pump. I did use it in the video above.  I placed the electric pump between the mechanical pump and the carb bowl. It was to be a temporary location, as down by the fuel tank seems to be a better place. However it works just fine there where I have it. It sucks through the mechanical pump no problem.

I don't use an electric fuel pump at all.  Never had an issue starting.  Usually it cranks over and fores right up, except for last week when it was 27F out, it took some pumping of the pedal since I was still running the summer tuneup on it.  It rarely gets that cold around here so I don't both with putting a winter tune on it for the handful of days it might be useful.  I also don't let it sit much more than 3-4 days at a time so that might be my secret, lol.  Your car it telling you "drive me more".

On 10/30/2020 at 6:06 PM, Slickster said:

Thanks for the great advice and encouragement, didn't mean to start a 6v vs 12v war, got my ride to start just about instantly right now, also, ordered brake parts and they are coming from Argentina of all places....anyone headed to the Turkey Rod Run in Daytona?  I'll be there hopefully in my 48

Brake shoes from Argentina will possibly be really good...asbestos linings...that's the right brake shoe lining for these old MoPars.

Modern hard linings.....nahh