winterizing steps for your antique car/truck

desoto1939

The other day I watched a web presentation on getting your antique car/truck ready for winter storage.  I took down a lot of the information from the lecture and compiled the information into a word document. 

I have attached this document for everyone's reading pleasure and hope this might help you get your car ready for a long winters sleep.

Please make any comments or other suggestion to help other owners.

There is some very good information and the one that is great is placing rugs under each tire if you have bias ply tires. This prevents flat spots. I have my entire car sitting on an old rug that i took out of my home and I never have any flat spots after it has sat for a couple of days or weeks.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

Winterizing your antique cars.docx

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One friend would use jack stands, and lower tire pressure. 

the rodent issue gets me,i saw a mouse climb a power cord for my welder, little bugger built a nest on the fan inside the welder.  

another one i watched climb a piece of 1” square tubing that was near vertical. 
this fall it seems like waging war against my worst enemy. 
shop is secure,they pop in when overhead door opens. 

That's quite the list of which I personally do 1% of. I put fuel stabilizer in and unhook the batteries. Where I store you aren't allowed to remove the battery. Can't say I've noticed reduced battery life. Commercial buildings that I've never seen issues with mice. 

I keep my garage at a reasonable temperature and drive my cars periodically throughout the winter months.  If I lived in a place that wouldn't allow for that, well, I wouldn't live there very long.   Where I live now might just be the best kept winter weather secret in the country.

_

Well my device won't open the word document so so I am probably lacking a few steps.

Put about 12 gallons of ethanol free fuel in the tank

Wash dry and vacuum

Decide whether to drive in or back in the garage

Position car in garage with drip protection under as needed

Air up tires to 36 pounds for all

Check the trunk for items that might be needed out of the car

Check battery electrolyte level

Top off radiator

Top off oil

Attach battery tender

Distribute dollar store fabric softener shéets in cabin, trunk and engine compartment

Assure all electric accessories are off, chock wheels

Leave side windows down about an eighth inch, open cowl vent a bit

Install car cover

Distribute mouse baits in garage.

Light candle, invoke spirits for a short mild winter.

Check operation of heater defroster lights and wipers on daily drivers.

Position snow plow lawn tractor between the Plymouth and Studebaker.

Edited by greg g
  • Like 2

Thank you desoto1939 great info,,

I was gonna start a topic on this subjet,,  Winter Storage,,  I do pretty well everything mention in the docs,

I just like to had 2 stroke oil, with the engine running,,  in the carb until it stall, plus a plastic bag to covert the tail pipe & carb,, 

but my questions is, 3 choices,  about leaving the weigh on wheels , partialy raise to relief some of the weight or finally fully raise with no weight on wheels??

storage.jpg

The rodents know when it is time to leave via their exits/entrances and just had a sudden move to the neighbors until you rebuilt, only to return unless the neighbors place turned out to be more accommodating.

The babies will need more space however and may well be back.

Got a new cat yet?

DJ

I park my cars in the garage. It's heated and dry. So far no rodents or their evil friends, although I keep traps set. I keep the temp at 50 degrees F, because that's as low as I can set the system.

I clean the cars, put fuel stabilizer in the tanks and fill up the fluids. Unhook the batteries and put them on a tender. Check the antifreeze with a tester to make sure it's still good. Put refilled peppermint oil containers in engine bay, interior, and trunk. Put moth balls near the garage doors where rodents are likely to enter.

I work on the vehicles on winter weekends, so that's about it. This winter's projects:

Replace the cracked dash glass
   Install a couple more ground straps
   Install a master disconnect switch
   Rebuild a couple spare carbs
   Install the Dynamat kit that's been sitting on my shelf for a couple of years

Other projects as time allows.

Pete

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Hi,  its  this time of the year again to start thinking about it,, Where the summer went..    I was readings in an article on winter storage, pretty well standard stuff, except for one thing.. To open the doors and trunk slightly, to give the rubber seals a change to relax!! 

What do you think on that  or anyone as tried it??