Last drive of the season?

greg g

Beautiful weather here in PA. My wife and I took about a 90 mile ride yesterday. Stopped for a couple pics on "Headache Hill". Not the last ride, because I intentionally brought her home low on gas. At least one more ride to get gas before the season ends.

Headache Hill.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Going to have to schedule a trip down to visit or maybe we can meet for lunch in Binghamton.  Gotta twist your arm about joining us next year for our P15 Picnicl tour.  Plans are to have it in or near Watkins Glenn end of Aug or early Sept. 2021. Your Dodge would make a nice addition to the group.  Probably you would too...

120072343_3489664387765527_2133010676349898503_o.jpg

120026760_645460873066189_1449852076767796102_n.jpg

One more year until I retire. I hope to have time to do such things then. I would really enjoy the P15 Picnic. Just always seems to be so much going on. Hoping to free up some time this coming year for me, and then after retiring next November I hope time is not an issue anymore........... One more from yesterday..........

Headache Hill_1 (3).jpg

• Like 2

The old woman and I went for a ride Saturday(temp was 75 degrees) in the "37" Dodge, we went to Wilton to the famous "The Candy Kitchen" it is on the National Register of Historic Places. The first picture is the candy shop and the second is an old gas station museum along the way. The Candy Kitchen is famous because it has been in existence since 1910 and was opened by Gus Nopoulos and his wife and has been in there family until 2016. 

file of the candy shop to big and would not me load celebs like Gregory Peck have been there cool place and has a museum in the back. Sorry I forgot this is Iowa 

20201107_135200.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yesterday was not too bad, cool but dry.  We raked and blew some leaves to the street, and I thought I would sneak in one last drive of the year. 

Slow cranking; loose cable clamp.  Battery charger.  Shot of starter fluid.  Car started, but quit when I let off the gas.  More battery charger, another shot.  Kept foot on the gas for a while. 

Headed down the drive, giving it gas to keep it running.  Let it idle and warm up.  Took a photo, saved photo under "Glamour shots" folder. 

Headed out.  Not running right; using the clutch at stops, afraid to the Fluid Drive would stall it.  Went around the block, and back to the garage.

This isn't fun anymore.  Maybe the loss of car shows this year, and an abbreviated, unofficial. Woodward DreamCruise.  Maybe too many chronic aches and pains. Recently replaced the manifold gaskets, a major job for me, to no apparent audible difference.  Wondering what it takes to get this car running sweet again, for the rare times it would run sweet.  Too many bad memories of flatbed returns home. 

I'm editing documents on History of my Ownership, Maintenance, and Improvements to My DeSoto.  Maybe you can see where I'm going.  Someday, I or my survivors will sell the car.  We'll see how I feel, come Spring.  

Meantime, I can lurk on the forum, and vicariously participate in all the wonderful adventures with these old Mopars.  

2020 11 14 ed.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

On 10/28/2020 at 3:43 PM, Worden18 said:

Cool pics fellas.  And, love your cars.  I'm glad my car is a rust bucket because I'll be driving it year round ?

Yes I agree, with your way of thinking.  I'm actually looking for an off season daily driver to replace my reliable 2001 Buick. That "melted brick of butter" is so boring to drive.   From now to March we see many more raindrops than sunbeams for sure around here.  We might see some of that white stuff too.   Ideally I'd love to have a 55-57 Desoto wagon. I just think wagons are more practicle for a daily driver, especially in non-window-down weather.  However I do have my eye on a 57 Fargo Town Panel.  It's tough finding something good enough to leave uncovered outside all winter that's reliable enough to fire up under all conditions.  But not so nice that I'd worry about it getting dirt or that white stuff on it.  Today the sun is shinning so it's time to get the cover off the ole girl and log a 100 miles or so of one of the the best feeling on earth.  

• Like 2

I just took my P15 in for her annual PA state inspection.  Then stopped at the local "Loves" station to fill the gas tank. Then parked her in the garage.  Maybe I'll get a chance or two for a little drive before Old Man Winter pays a visit.  No car shows this season, but hopefully next year will be better, if the Covid doesn't get me!!

• Like 2

Last week I had my mechanic change the oil, do a grease job, a tuneup (points, condenser, timing etc.), and check all the fluid levels.  This weekend will probably be the last trip of the year (weather permitting) - I’ll fill up the tank, throw some stabil in there and my wife and I will go for a nice long drive through Niagara on the Lake, come home, give the ‘50 Plymouth a bath and put her away for the winter.  Unfortunately, I didn’t get to drive her very much this year (maybe 300 - 400 miles) so we’ll look forward to next year.  Meanwhile over the winter, I’ll see about replacing or repairing the rad as it seems to be leaking just a little.

On 11/15/2020 at 12:02 PM, DonaldSmith said:

2020 11 14 ed.jpg

Every time I see your car I'm reminded of the "Happy Days" episode when Fonzie supes up Howard Cunningham's car for a race that Richie got into with some hoods.  Howard's lament, "My Desoto!", when he sees his hot-rodded car always plays in my head.  He had the 4dr sedan with the luggage rack on the roof, too.

Very sorry to hear. Losing an old car has got to be tough. I have four cars in my heated garage and worry a bit about something similar. However, there are worse things in life. 

Hopefully you have insurance and can replace the building and buy another old car to enjoy. 

Best of luck in the future sorting everything out!

Edited by RobertKB