Last drive of the season?

greg g

Did a little trek yesterday burned the tank down to about three gallons remaining, then added 10 gallons of non ethanol in anticipation of winter hibernation.  Headed south to an area that represents the end of the line for glacier advance during the last ice age, Hills are glacial moraines, and the area I's rotted with small to medium kettle lakes, and water falls separated by drumlins (gee wasn't earth science great?). Area is home to 4 out of 5 of our local ski centers. Look up Labrador unique area for more science stuff.   Clouds damped the colors but the air was crisp and the traffic light and the vehicle willing.  Did about 100 miles.  Now waiting for a non rainy day to do bath time and blanky for the winter.

Resized_2 (1).jpg

Resized_2.jpg

• Like 12

Drove the Chrysler woodie and 52 Plymouth Belvedere probably last time this year by the pumpkin patch display...

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!!

20201031_145948_compress36.jpg

20201031_142516_compress53.jpg

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
  • Like 4

Looks like Thursday is supposed to be mostly sunny and 64 degrees.  Could be drive, bath and cover day for the P15  as the 10 day forcastweek looks rainy and chilly after that.  Only did about 900 miles this year, down from our normal 3000.  But zero issues.

We had lots of snow and quite cold weather a couple of weeks ago. I thought I was probably done driving the old cars for the year. However,  it warmed up nicely and has been very pleasant lately.  Today was well into the 50’s. Took the ‘48 Dodge D25 club coupe out for about a 40 mile run. Hopefully I will get another 1 or 2 runs in before it cools off on Friday with snow forecast again. 

If you look closely at the horizon you can see the Rocky Mountains. Where I live (Lethbridge, Alberta) is about 80 miles from the mountains as the crow flies. 

64F340A6-3295-401F-BF3F-BA10AEF73DD5.jpeg.0aee4507b3e3326c7423747d80212384.jpeg

• Like 7

OK so I lied, supposed to be upper 60's later in the week into the weekend. Going to hold off putting the Cranbrook away. Put a little over 3k miles on it this summer. This is after a trip to get apples and cider on Sat. Hopefully someone can rotate picture!!!

IMG_0697.jpg

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

actually, now is the better season to drive down here....usually summer is way to hot to be comfortable 

I am tempted to do the red truck with black fenders theme ... so I can run red wheels  :D  .... No just thinking it may be a few degrees cooler in the cab with red paint instead of black, some good insulation on the headliner, red paint .... maybe get a few degree's cooler but doubt would be enough to help.

But yeah, me and the wife going to jump in the car and go for a drive today because it is such a great day weather wise to do it.

• Like 1

Last drive of the season up here was "car Tetris".  Took the ol' D24 out for a spin after adding fuel stabilizer to get it throughout the system, then eased it into its winter spot.  A little tighter than usual this winter because I have my brother in law's car, there's usually two across the back, but I wanted the Ford where I could work on it over the winter and get it out of here in the spring.  Good thing one of them is the Bug, but I think I could have gotten another full size car in that spot.

IMG_0604.JPG.6a8e2c3120af7ed8102957ca000ab90b.JPG

• Like 3

Yep, '57 Ford Custom 2dr sedan.  In "ok" condition but has been subject to many Mickey Mouse repairs and upgrades since the late '80s.  BIL knows nothing about cars, doesn't even know how to drive it, doesn't even know enough about it to know who to have work on it...other than me.  Couldn't even tell you why he bought it, but I felt sorry for it and volunteered to tidy it up this winter.  I'll have to learn a couple new things working on it, and it came with a credit card, so all I have to lose is some shop space this winter.

Out again. Probably last time as all my old cars have little gas left in their tanks which is what I like in a heated garage. I check constantly for any problems. 

Three different stops all with the Rocky Mountains in the distance. Colours are certainly late fall and it was cooler today but the old girl has a great heater. Little bit of snow in the last picture is left over from the first snowstorm in my area. 

A5DDE952-66BA-4AC1-9E80-1D3CE43C618C.jpeg.85ccb3c4df23357e9771a83bea58d368.jpeg

C7F12DD9-D856-4284-B430-DCA864D19957.jpeg.1d3711e13b2c35339d238850fa6a33ce.jpeg

F63D682F-3428-40B6-A308-99C562A016C3.jpeg.be781ed150935c04773ec25dfc1cc890.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

We had 6 in. snow a week ago but today it is 55 degrees with dry roads.  My wife and I took a 40 mi. ride past the Wachusett Mountain ski area.  We missedthe foliage season, but it was still pretty.  On the way home I filled the tank and added another dose of Startron fuel stabilizer.  If weather permits I'll get it out sgain, but if it doesn't the caris ready for its long nap.  I changed the oil three weeks ago and our garage is heated enough to keep it above freezing.

2D241D07-B683-4A0D-A450-6DD4DCC55FC2.jpeg

07E90783-CD38-4EAA-B119-8B3CA5E2478F.jpeg

Edited by busycoupe
  • Like 2

Nice.  New England gets raves for fall foliage, but I think it's quite pretty up here all four seasons - even after the leaves have fallen and into the dead of winter.  Dirty snow is a bit ugly, but that gets recovered up here regularly...

• Like 1

Today was bath day.  I swear that when I pulled out the choke and hit the starter she said lets go o o somewh, some whe,  gosomewhere!  So we did. After drying off, we enjoyed the sunshine and high 60s temps and drove out to the East end of Oneida Lake, had a nice lunch out on the patio of the Canal View Restaurant. Did about 60 miles and waved at a couple other folks exercising their old iron as well.  Tomorrow is supposed to be nice too so maybe another chance to gofur,  to ooh ooh gofera,  to gofur a ride!

Edited by greg g
  • Like 1