trunk light socket

capt den

i want the trunk light to work on my 1954 chrysler. there does not appear to be any switch, like the ones in the door that turn turn the light on. i checked for power and it is there at the socket. the bulb is good.so it appears that no power is getting through the socket to the bulb. however, it also appears that the socket must be some kind of switch that works off the opening and closing of the trunk. i have never heard of this kind of switch that is built into the socket, and if that is the case where are new ones available. i suppose only a salvage yard.  any info about these sockets will help.  thanks,   capt den

Probably a separate remote mercury switch or Mercury light socket switch.

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
Spelling
  • Like 1

I'd be pulling the socket out and having a look at how it works.......in general terms the socket/light fitting has a wire with power going thru it up to the small contact that the globe presses against and earths out thru the body of the light..........a separate switch in the power circuit or earth circuit is just that, so I'm curious as to how this works.............andyd 

12 hours ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

Probably a separate temote mercury switch or Mercury light socket switch.

Will one from a 73 Fiat 600 work? ?

3 hours ago, Doug&Deb said:

Check for a good ground also. I’ve had power show at a bulb socket according to my test light and still not have the bulb work. Fixing the ground solved the problem.

I hate to admit I have ever missed something THAT freaking obvious,but I have.

Never hurts to remind people of what seems obvious. We all forget at times.

The mercury switches commonly used in the older very early 50's chryslers fail..

Tough to get that style to function again.

Plunger style simple to diagnose and repair as mentioned.

A murcury switch basically was some form of a moving internal contact inside the socket there is room for the fluid or contact material to move away from the two contact points.

So in your situation when the truck lid is close the internal fluid or contact material is now at the end away from the bulb. becsue the lid is closed. When the lid is opened to the correct position then the internal fluid moves to make a contact electrical connection from both ends of the socket and then the light will then come on.  Basically is is acting as a safety swith that has some form of electrical control that moves via the location or position of the socket.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

i have checked the ground and that is not the issue. if this is a mercury switch, which seems logical in this application,then it simply must be replaced with a similiar item. i am guessing there is no aftermarket for this. i have looked on ebay with no luck. i need to find someone parting a car out. to me this is chrysler ove-r-engineering something that should be simple.    capt den

https://www.parts-express.com/mercury-tilt-switch--060-852?AID=13715689&PID=8280252&SID=9e0759baa5011d5d3ce1062caff859c1&cjevent=580dcc06171a11eb82fe01a50a1c0e11&utm_source=CJ

Something one of these?

Just did a quick web search for replacement type mercury switch and this was the first thing that came up, probably way more out there.

DJ

• Like 1