1952 Plymouth Overdrive Upgrade questions.

1952Cranbrook

Thank you to everyone for all of the great knowledge and advice, I decided to pull the trigger on it yesterday and picked it up!

Judging by my shop manual it appears to have come with the OD solenoid, governor, lockout rail switch, as well as a spot to hook up reverse lights(new addition for me) Did not come with an overdrive relay or kickdown switch.

@woodie49

If you had any information on a workaround for fabricating the the overdrive relay system, that would be super!

@DJ194950

Interesting... Do you know wether a 1955 would have come with a 6v or 12v solenoid? Or how to tell on the solenoid? The car it is going into is 6v..

Interested in seeing if I can recreate the system with modern relay and whether I can duplicate the action of the kickdown switch using something else.

And another quick question for anyone with knowledge about these transmissions,

after sitting overnight, it seemed to collect oil by the backend of the trans as you can see in the picture below. Can’t tell if this seems like a leak or just like oil residue from something else. Wondering if I should be concerned or track it down before I get it on the car and it’s too late... 
You guys think the rear seal is leaking?

Again, thank you guys so much for the knowledge and info. You guys are awesome!!!

185614F0-616C-4FA3-963E-43CEBA8D8F04.jpeg

26A7109A-BCF3-485D-85FE-41BC92797CF7.jpeg

454CE2D6-12AC-4136-9053-18E5F15D8AC4.jpeg

71DD7CFD-DCDF-4975-A6F4-B8946C013251.jpeg

B4E18D81-A7DB-49FF-845F-02E78F366D73.jpeg

EBCBF35A-6E9A-4348-976C-DB616B6B2983.jpeg

A51CA67F-5116-4309-801F-16E9224B5649.jpeg

Okay it looks like you got everything but the relay and throttle switch.

1955 Plymouths are 6 volt. There are reproduction relays which are 6 or 12 volt. All the switches and governors can be used with either.

Looks like you'll need a rear seal. Take the old one to NAPA and get a modern seal.  If your old transmission's e-brake parts will fit I'd just transfer them.

PM me your email address and I'll send you a manual file you can print and you'll know as much as anyone.

Most of the R-10 OD solenoids are stamped on the out side case near the electrical terminals with either a 6V. or 12V. . Not hard to see. Otherwise a web search with the stamped part # will tell.

DJ

On 10/25/2020 at 2:58 PM, 1952Cranbrook said:

Thank you to everyone for all of the great knowledge and advice, I decided to pull the trigger on it yesterday and picked it up!

Judging by my shop manual it appears to have come with the OD solenoid, governor, lockout rail switch, as well as a spot to hook up reverse lights(new addition for me) Did not come with an overdrive relay or kickdown switch.

@woodie49

If you had any information on a workaround for fabricating the the overdrive relay system, that would be super!

@DJ194950

Interesting... Do you know wether a 1955 would have come with a 6v or 12v solenoid? Or how to tell on the solenoid? The car it is going into is 6v..

Interested in seeing if I can recreate the system with modern relay and whether I can duplicate the action of the kickdown switch using something else.

And another quick question for anyone with knowledge about these transmissions,

after sitting overnight, it seemed to collect oil by the backend of the trans as you can see in the picture below. Can’t tell if this seems like a leak or just like oil residue from something else. Wondering if I should be concerned or track it down before I get it on the car and it’s too late... 
You guys think the rear seal is leaking?

Again, thank you guys so much for the knowledge and info. You guys are awesome!!!

185614F0-616C-4FA3-963E-43CEBA8D8F04.jpeg

26A7109A-BCF3-485D-85FE-41BC92797CF7.jpeg

454CE2D6-12AC-4136-9053-18E5F15D8AC4.jpeg

71DD7CFD-DCDF-4975-A6F4-B8946C013251.jpeg

B4E18D81-A7DB-49FF-845F-02E78F366D73.jpeg

EBCBF35A-6E9A-4348-976C-DB616B6B2983.jpeg

A51CA67F-5116-4309-801F-16E9224B5649.jpeg

awesome I hope this thing works, keep us updated with your project

• 1 year later...

The flathead could be had with a powerflite 2 spd automatic. I believe that same adapter will allow an early torqueflite to also bolt up. I'm not sure how current of a trans will attach though.

• 2 months later...

I installed an overdrive unit from a '52 Plymouth in my '50 Plymouth Woodie. When I engage the overdrive, pushing the cable, all I get is free wheeling. It won't shift into the higher gear. any advice?

thanks

Paul M.

Sounds like an eletrical problem.  You need to verify if the relay is sending power to the solenoid, and that the governor is providing a proper ground for the solenoid to operate.  For a simple test you can make a switched temporary ground wire to bypass the governor.  This would allow you to control the grounding manually.  If you look in the downloads section of this site you will find a pdf file of the borg warner r 10 operators manual.  It includes the factory wiring g schematic, a troubleshooting  guide, and a simplified wiring schematic that bypasses the kickdown switch.  Are you running the factory kick down circuit?

The other important issue is wire size.  The od components draw a significant Amp draw.  Your wires need to be up to the task. On mine, I have a twisted pair of 10 gauge wire powering the relay, and going from the relay to the solenoid.   If I remember  correctly  the solenoid pulls 12 amps on the pull in circuit, and 8 amps on the hold in circuit.  Don't skimp on wire size.  I believe I used 12 gauge on all the other od related wires.  Soldered connections are the wway to go, if you use crimp connectors use good ones.  Then assure all the connections are clean and tight.  The normal road speed for the governor to connect the solenoid ground is around 38 give or take due to age and condition of the part.

Edited by greg g