1947 club coupe

John431

Hi all, update: the differential does not have a "drain"plug only a fill plug. So any fluid would have to be sucked out

I was lucky mine was pretty much empty ? So with some Redline all is quiet now !

Thanks to all for comments/advice..

Happy motoring !!!    :  )

• Like 1

I pull the axle shafts and the driveshaft.  then crack the third member loose to let the fluid drain into the pan you have below it.  Once it's done pull the third member and inspect/clean out the housing.  That will tell you a lot and will allow you to inspect the gears for any issues.  Seal it up and fill it up.  Yes it's tedious but especially on a new to me vehicle it's sort of mandatory for me.  This will also allow you to inspect the axle shaft bearings though you will likely need, at a minimum, outer seals for the shafts and a carrier gasket.  Probably wouldn't hurt to put in new inner seals too.

Hey John,

On my P-15, I didn't think I had a drain plug either. Turned out it was covered by dirt. Not a lot but enough to cover the plug. Scrape a little bit at the backside area at the 5:00 position just above the bolt holding the diff together. It has a square hole in it instead of a hex to remove the plug. Had to dig mine out to get a rachet in there to remove it.

Joe Lee

• Like 1