12v bulbs

nolan in blaine

I have a 1937 Chrysler Royal.  I've converted it to 12v but am having a hard time finding headlight bulbs.  I bought #1044 online(box of 10) but they dont fit right. They only ground when turned about half way on the pegs so they wont stay in correctly.  I'm hoping for a bulb that might be available at a parts store relatively quick.  

A Edison/Mazda 2331 bulb, Chrysler part number 659530 which had a double contact, pre-focus base, RP-11 glass bulb and C-6 filaments putting out 32 cp on both high and low beams. There are a couple of different pre-focus bases, I can’t at present find which one this was. The 2330 looks like it had the same specs but is listed as a "D.C. Pf. (A)" base.

Anyway, my 1970s vintage GE Miniature Lamp Guide shows the 2336 as the same as a 2330 in physical construction but rated for 12.5v and putting out 32cp.

I am not positive the 2330 and 2331 have the same indexing on the pre-focus base, so that 12v equivalent may well be wrong. And I don‘t see any of these in the current product line of the big lamp manufacturers, so it is unlikely you will be able to quickly find one at a parts store.

There might be some 12v compatible LED replacements for these that have come on the market recently. That might be worth researching.

"I am not positive the 2330 and 2331 have the same indexing on the pre-focus base."

The indexing of the 2330 and 2331 bulbs are off 90 degrees from each other. They are not interchangeable. I while back I ordered some 2331 bulb for my '38 truck, but they sent 2330. You can install them, but the contacts do not line up.

Pete

2330 vs 2331 indexing .

Chrylser used the 2331 bulbs. The 2331 index at the  approx position of 3 and 9 o-clock for the contact points on the bulb the 2330 index at approx 12 and 6 oclock onthe bulb base.

the 2331 work inthe following manner low beam is to the right contact at 9 oclcok and the high beam is at the 3 oclock contact and this is also based on the prism cut lines on your glas headlight lenses.

The 2330 are setup to index more might our modern bulbs low beam is down and high beam is in the upper contact.  The only difference is the two pig tail contact withint he socket.  The 2330 and the 2331 sockets are the same but you would need to  get the bulbs contact from napa or any good electrical supply and then chnage the inner contact insert to be at 12/6 versus 9/3.

So many people have bee caught on this.  You could go to a halogen prefocused bulb and still use the 2331. Not sure of any 12 v bulbs to fit the prefocused sockets.  Or convert over to sealed beam if you have a 38 and back becasue the old glass headlight lenses and refelector were round and in 1939 Mopar they chnaged the style to being recantular or square and then went to full round sealed headlighs in 1940.

I found 2330 sockets and went to napa and got the correct orientated pig tails sockets and solved my pbm but learned the trick.  Write to me and I will discuss or call me 484-431-8157  cell

Rich HArtung

Desoto1939@aol.com

Ron Francis sells a 12 volt bulb B-2337, which is listed as "super bright"  appears to have the same locking rings.  C&G Early Ford Parts also sells headlight bulb for 35-38 pass cars ( Ford) 48-13007-12. Suspect that the index is off for both of these for Mopar cars.   I used the "Ford" 6 volt versions in my 39 Ply. for awhile.  Believe had to reverse the high / low wires to be correct with the dimmer.  Have connectors behind the reflector, not a big deal.  Unfortunately with the 39 Ply the bulbs didn't align  in the correct direction with the reflector & caused an issue with the lines molded into the glass.  I end up going with LED's bulbs, the electric draw is very low & direction doesn't appear to be noticable,  They are very bright, however don't project outward as much as conventional bulbs.  In process of installing Fog Lights, doing to see how they work together.  Ron Francis also sells new sockets, purchased two, appear to be of decent quality.  When have an opportunity will install in extra set of reflectors so that the bulbs are facing the correct direction with the high beam.    The LED bulbs that I am using are from: Classic Dynamo & Regulator (6-24 volt, Neg Earth, P30D (APF), 40/36 w "Double Dipper" FD2A.  They are somewhat expensive and takes a while to receive.  Have seen similar from a  China company on internet for a cheaper price, don't recall name.