1949 B1B master cylinder

jrocco49

Does anyone have an opinion about a good replacement for my old master cylinder?  It's the Wagner FE 543.  I thought about rebuilding it but the top bolts have broken off and I have not been able to get them out.  So I thought I would just replace it with something new.

I see them from around $90 to over $200 dollars!  That's quite a jump in price.  Just wondering how the reproducing's are , and if they bolt right back in place.  Not making a show truck, I just want to get it back on the road.

5 minutes ago, jrocco49 said:

Does anyone have an opinion about a good replacement for my old master cylinder?  It's the Wagner FE 543.  I thought about rebuilding it but the top bolts have broken off and I have not been able to get them out.  So I thought I would just replace it with something new.

I see them from around $90 to over $200 dollars!  That's quite a jump in price.  Just wondering how the reproducing's are , and if they bolt right back in place.  Not making a show truck, I just want to get it back on the road.

Can you post a picture of the MC?  

Here are a few quick pictures.  If I hadn't messed up the top trying to remove the broken bolts I might have attempted to put a rebuild kit in, but then again maybe not!  Hoping to get a nice replacement that fits without any modifications.  

IMG_4237.JPG

IMG_4233.JPG

IMG_4234.JPG

IMG_4236.JPG

IMG_4235.JPG

34 minutes ago, jrocco49 said:

Here are a few quick pictures.  If I hadn't messed up the top trying to remove the broken bolts I might have attempted to put a rebuild kit in, but then again maybe not!  Hoping to get a nice replacement that fits without any modifications.  

Looks like it is Chrysler part 695696 or something quite close to it. The price on that has gone up since last I checked, but NAPA claims a new one could be at a store near to me tomorrow for about $166.

When I bought my parts truck it had a brand new master cylinder in it but brakes were not working. I put my 1949 master in it and then disassembled the "new" master. Turns out the far end cup/valve was cocked in the cylinder which is what made it fail. I don't think the casting on the cheaper masters ( around 100 ) is going to be a problem but poor workmanship could be. That said I will put a new kit into the "new" master and keep it as a spare.

I have bought the Raybestos MCs from Rock Auto for both my trucks. Made in China or Taiwan but carry a limited lifetime warranty, whatever that is worth, for $84.