repower my 51

I have a 51 3/4 ton pickup that I am restoring and repowering. I am using a 1957 315 hemi from a truck that has bellhousing with side motor mounts and the original 4 speed from the big truck. am debating on whether to use this setup or update to a more modern transmission and use the later side motor mounts.

• 3 months later...

So, did you go for it? What did you find for motor mounts?

That's similar to what I plan on doing with my 52 B3B.  I'm looking at a super modified 360 with a 727 tranny behind it. I'm just hopin' I'm not crazy. With all the other things that need doing on the old girl, the cost is pretty close.

Dave

KensMotor.jpg

am in the middle of it now, cab is off. ended up making my own mounts. using some thru bolt donuts from Speedway.Didn't want to cut out the steering brace in the frame.could have modified some small block mounts if I had. made the rear crossmember too. am using a '58 315 hemi from a truck and the 4speed from the same unit. offset it 2"to get some steering gear clearance. am going to recess the firewall about an inch, that will put the back of the transmission where the old one was. using the original clutch pedal and making a brake pedal and moving the master cyl behind the pedal .using an 8 3/4 Mopar rear out of a 73 pickup so the old wheels will fit.

• Like 1