Can I lose polarity?

JSabah

My ‘49 has been converted to 12v. It was one but last night after a short drive my 1 yr old battery was dead. I suspected the generator (yes I elected to keep my originality) it the regulator. After reading other threads, I started my testing. 1st the residual voltage in the gen. ... I had 1.2v instead of the .5-.75 expected. So I re-flashed/polarized the generator - flashing the Arm terminal while the regulator was disconnected. Thought I’d check out the car and wallah- the amp meter now shows as it should (turn key/discharge; start car/ charge; let it run/slight charge).  Went on to do a get more things/cleaning the engine bay and 15 minutes later I start the car and the amp meter shows that it isn’t charging. I find it strange that it worked after flashing then stops... can I loose polarity? Where do I go from here?

I gave the BR a tap. Didn’t seem to do anything. Thien I swapped out the VR with one from another car I just started working on - but I don’t know for 100% that it is good. Car didn’t charge unless I flashed it again and then only temporary again. 

disconnected the F and Arm terminals, jumped the two and checked voltage with a voltage meter..... nothing (but don’t forget that the amp meter had previously shown a temporary charge ... before it didn’t). 

I don’t understand why it would temporarily charge after flashing... is it even possible that a generator to work intermittently? 

BTW all grounds are clean and good