Good Starting Point?

Drewfinn

Hello folks! This isn't a "For Sale" post, it's more of a " what should I ask for it" post. I have a chance to buy another Hudson Super Jet, so something must go. I was considering selling my 51 Cambridge, she's just a no frills daily driver with original 218. I've sunk a fair amount of cash into it (gas tank,clutch kit,brakes,new white walls on the front) and know I won't get my money back on it. She's had some body patching and a coat of 2k primer to slow what I can't get to until spring. Where should I start for an asking price? Everything is there and working(except the radio) 

IMG_20201017_155107.jpg

IMG_20201017_155126.jpg

IMG_20201017_155212.jpg

Geography certainly comes into play but with nothing more to go on than your brief description and few photos, it looks like a car that, around here anyway, someone would initially price in the 7K-$9K range.  Then they'd watch it sit, ultimately accepting as little as one-third to one-half of their original asking price - unless they had a place to keep it and didn't need to sell it.

I've long thought these cars are undervalued, but the market is the end-all-be-all authority on that.

_

That's the problem, the market for these varies so much. Prices for a basic,reliable, driver are hard to find. It'll never be a show car, I'm afraid. Maybe I'll just throw some snow tires on and run it until someone notices the for sale sign and decides to rescue it!

• Like 1

Unfortunately, Chrysler product cars of this era (51-55 or so), especially 4-door sedans, are not in great demand unless priced as a "bargain".

Not saying they are not good, reliable and fun cars but the market is very "soft" for them.

With that said, and if you want a quick sale, I would price it somewhere in the $3000-$4000 range. 

I don't know the "rust" issues it may have but if it has a lot of rust/rot then you may need to go a bit lower.

Not knocking your car just being "real".

Joe

No offense taken, it spent it's life on the Rhode Island coast until June, so it does have rust. I've heard these described as the K-cars of the generation because everyone had one. Maybe I'll have to find another funding source for the Super Jet. Thanks Gang!