Safely Opening the Tilt Out Windshield 33 Dodge DP6

Mopar-Boy

I have a 33 Dodge DP6 sedan.  The windshield has the guide tracks with large thumb screws on both sides and I have loosened those.  Before I just put more pressure on the windshield to open it, I wanted to make sure there was not a trick to opening these, or typical problems with rust or seized hinges, stuck window seals, etc.  Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!  Thanks again, MoparBoy

I would suggest starting by spraying the hinges with a good lube,and then taking a SOFT pine block and a hammer,and GENTLY tapping it to break the windshield loose.

The idea here is to use vibrations to break the seal,not brute force.

Once it moves even a eighth of an inch,lube the hinges again as well with spray lube to lube up the new opening as far as possible,and then take the same SOFT wooden block and hammer and GENTLY tap is closed again.

If you are having trouble,you can try taking a razor knife and cutting the rubber away from the windshield frame to make it easier.

When you have done that,tap it open again.

"Patience" and "gently" are the two keywords here. This ain't a contest,and it doesn't even have to be finished today.

Repeat until it opens all the way.

Edited by knuckleharley
  • Like 1

If they are the same as on the '33 Plymouth, you pull the curved "guide tracks" (to use your term) down to unlock them, then the windshield can be opened. If you are in doubt about how they move, just remove the knurled thumb nuts and the underlying cupped metal washer and rubber washer and look at those arms.

IMG_0740.jpg

IMG_0741.jpg

IMG_0743.jpg