1940 D-14 Engine Oil Filter

Shaman

Hello Everyone,

New guy here.  Not a mechanic, by any stretch of the imagination.  I’m working on restoring my granddad’s 1940 Dodge D-14.  I was told it was running in the last two years from the guy that had it after my grandmother.  While cleaning things up and going over things I noticed there seems to be no oil filter.  I’ve been all over the engine and I’m finding nothing.  So, has anyone ran into one of these engines, running, without an oil filter?  Also, any good suggestions on getting a replacement and the tubes?  I’ve been looking around and have found some options, but my other concern is where the filter ties into the motor.  I have a shop manual that I’m using, so hopefully I can get this all figured out, with some help from this group.

Thanks in advance.

Oil filters were optional back in those days and even the optional oil filter was not optimal.  It's what's known as a bypass filter.  What this means is that once the oil pressure gets up above a certain level a valve would open and allow some of the oil to go to the filter then get dumped back into the crankcase.  Tday's oil filters filter all the oil all the time before it goes to the engine. 

15 minutes ago, Shaman said:

That’s interesting.  I knew when I read that it was called a bypass filter somewhere and that the oil didn’t have to pass through it I thought that was odd.  I guess not odd, just different.  Thanks for the reply.  

When they were equipped with the optional oil filter,it went inside a canister bolted to the driver's side of the engine block,slightly above and behind the distributor. Look at the block and you can see the tapped holes to accept the mounting bolts.and the plugs in the block where the oil lines go.

Back on July 13,2019, Sam Buchanan posted a thread on mounting a bypass spin-on filter. I don’t know how to post the link, but I googled 24755 bypass oil filter and it came up on the second page. You could also use a Baldwin OB1305. It sure simplify’s filter replacement. 

My 38 D9 has the 201 engine. Was purchased new in 1938 by my grandfather and never had an exterior serviceable oil filter. So it relied on the in sump sieve/screen to maybe break up the big gluts and nothing else except an oil change. The system did work as evidenced by the fact that it got to 102,000 miles in 1982 before it had a complete rebuild. It really was worn out,  blowing smoke, poor compression etc. Compared to my '97 2.8 Toyota Hilux that has at 350,000km ( over twice the mileage ) and no obvious signs of wear or performance. In an attempt to improve the oil system I have put in an exterior serviceable filter directly into the oil pump that should fully filter the oil compared to maybe the 30% job that the period available optional filter fitted to the gallery on the other side of the engine.

There's a catch though. I have made it even more difficult to service the tappets. A niggly job at best, especially for the right hand drive vehicle with the steering box already in the way. Still possible by running it up hot then removing the looped oil line that's in the way, doing the tappets then reassembling. Time will tell whether it can match my Hilux for durability but the well filtered oil will definitely help.

Oil filter 2.jpg

Oil filter 1.jpg

• Like 1

Interesting addition.  How did you do it>  All the full flow setups I have seen, till now, both tap intot eh boss on the block.  It appears you tapped into the oil pump for the supply and into the boss on the block for the feed to the engine?  Seems an easier t configure setup to me.

This is as you say sniper but still problematic for me. It does the filter job and with all the curved lines is serviceable with the small cannister and dexterous hands. The negatives are the tappet access. The new filter housing is attached to the heat shield and also uses one of the front tappet cover studs/nuts to anchor to. This configuration may end up with some alteration if it improves any of these things. You guys with the left hand drive vehicles and no steering box in the mix have way more scope to address this than us downunder. Sometimes you have to make something up as best you can then modify it to find the best configuration. One more pic from another angle....

Oil filter 3.jpg

• Like 1

That has to be the cleanest job of routing oil lines and making them seem "factory" that I have ever seen.

These flathead 6 MoPar engines are basically the same from 1936 to 1963.  There are displacement and block size differences, but the accouterments on the outside of the engine(s) are basically the same.  Our '48 D24 did not have an oil filter when we got it, either.  I sourced one off a later year Dodge truck (don't remember the year anymore), with no fitment issues at all.  The mounting bracket bolts to the driver's side rear of the engine, and tubing was relatively easy, just good old fashioned brake line.  If you want original and are OK with the bypass system, salvage yards that still have older MoPars are a good source, and of course, eBay motors' vintage parts section.  These engines were also used in forklifts, airport tugs, farm machinery, etc., so they're out there.  AMS Obsolete (AMSNOS.com) has more original parts than you can shake a stick at, wouldn't hurt to contact them.  If you want better filtration, there are several threads herein that cover some spin on and other types of cannister oil filter options.