Idling issue after driving

Countryss

Currently have a 46 dodge that has been recently converted to 12v neg. The issue that is occurring was happening before and after conversion. Temp reaches 160 idles fine and around 20 to 25 min after driving it will shut at idle. Dont really see an issue turning it over after it shuts. If I keep giving it a little gas it will run at idle. Any thought?

IMG959576.jpg

20 -25 mins later everything is fully warmed up.  Idling is hotter even than driving down the road. Heat travels up. The exhaust manifold is very hot. Heat from it travels up to the intake manifold. Then into the carb base. Heats up the carburetor. Carb gets real warm, fuel vaporizes.  Fuel level in bowl gets low. Car stalls.....Just a theory.

What quality of fuel are you running? Any ethanol in it? Consider a phenolic spacer at carb base.  I highly recommend non-ethanol fuel. Cures what ales ya 9 times out of 10. Consider a back up electric fuel pump with a sprung switch on the dash. So you can give it a shot as needed. Push fuel through that possible vapour lock at the fuel pump or fuel lines. They are all located near that dang hot exhaust manifold....Just a theory. Worth sniffing out.

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Countryss said:

Ordered the phonelic kit and extended manifold bolts. So while waiting for those parts to come in i started tinkering with some other stuff. I see the sqaure top relay is for the starter but what is the round one controlling?

20201018_185308.jpg

Does your car have a semi automatic transmission? If so maybe part of the shifting wiring.

34 minutes ago, Doug&Deb said:

The D24 has.. the fluid coupling linked to a 3 speed trans. The M6 wasn’t offered until the 2nd series 49’s came out.

2 hours ago, Countryss said:

Just converted car to 12v so that was in while car was 6v generator. I have fluid drive transmission 

I guess I don't understand the earlier question about the relays then if you did the conversion. 

I've never seen a setup like that on any vehicle converted from 6v to 12v.  If it is intended as part of converting the starting system to 12v, it should simply have replaced the 6v solenoid.  If you have contact with whoever did the conversion they should know why they installed that, I'd hope so, anyway.  I can't really tell what it's for without knowing how or what it's wired to.  I can't even make an uneducated guess right now.   

55 minutes ago, Dan Hiebert said:

I've never seen a setup like that on any vehicle converted from 6v to 12v.  If it is intended as part of converting the starting system to 12v, it should simply have replaced the 6v solenoid.  If you have contact with whoever did the conversion they should know why they installed that, I'd hope so, anyway.  I can't really tell what it's for without knowing how or what it's wired to.  I can't even make an uneducated guess right now.   

That is pretty much what I did when I converted.  I used a Ford style 4 terminal 12v solenoid to completely replace the original 3 terminal 6v solenoid.  the extra terminal was to bypass the ballast resistor in start. 

• 2 weeks later...

Your carb looks pretty clean.  Did you have it rebuilt, or is it a recent replacement?  I replaced the bxvd3 on my 48 Dodge a couple of years ago.  The carb was clean and appeared to function OK so I bolted it on.  Almost immediately it started leaking from the bottom like yours.  I took it off to investigate, and found that there are two plugs on the bottom for axcess to jets inside the carb.  Whoever cleaned and rebuilt the carb neglected to put gasket washers on the plugs.  After replacing the washers it was fine.  

First things to check if it were in my garage would be needle and seat valve and float lever.  If there is that much gas on the outside, there is likely that much or more puddled in the intake manifold.  So as it sits your car is constantly running rich.  I would guess if it's been doing that for a while your spark plugs are fuel fouled.  Todays fuel formulas are more prone to expand more from heat than old stuff so many have found a slightly lower, 2 or 3 32nds float level will address the problem assuming your needle valve is closing all the way.  Could be as simple as the little clip the holds the float pivot in place is missing or not properly installed.

• Thanks 1

on the wiring question:  I'm the one that asked for pics, but still can't make out where the other end of any wire may be. 

Things that look 'suspicious':

The green wire on the starter?  Maybe used for a 12v resistor bypass when starting?  If so, wrong place for that, as there will be voltage drop there when starting.

Blue wires on relays, where to they go?

Which relay is connected directly to the battery?

Sorry I'm no help, just full of questions.