Ownership History

Booger

Id like to know the history of my family tree, believeing Im the 4th or 5ith owner

I think I sat alone for a long time, but I dont know cuz I only have 82 and 3 zeroes

Id tried looking up my vin number but because I have so few numbers they dont recognize me

Ancestry .com? Im from the Plymouth family so theres not many of us left

Are you my Poppa?

Booger

Most likely if you are wanting prior owners names there are two chances.  Slim and None. And Slim just got on the Stage outta town.  Seriously it is highly unlikely to be able to find out who they were as records either don’t exist or are hidden for privacy purposes.   If the are only a few you might have a chance if the person you bought it from knew the previous  owner as happened with my Volare.  I do wish you luck. I suspect you will need it.

2 hours ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

Most likely if you are wanting prior owners names there are two chances.  Slim and None. And Slim just got on the Stage outta town.  Seriously it is highly unlikely to be able to find out who they were as records either don’t exist or are hidden for privacy purposes.   If the are only a few you might have a chance if the person you bought it from knew the previous  owner as happened with my Volare.  I do wish you luck. I suspect you will need it.

certainly not looking for any names. but dont carfax searches tell you when and where cars were registered, or wrecked? they say all you need is a VIN #.

9 hours ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

CarFax needs a modern VIN to work.  Most of our cars have a different system. Some are registered using engine numbers, Some using serial numbers. Depends on where it was registered and by who. What year car are you dealing with? 

It's a 49

Carfax needs the 17 digit numbers put into use in 1980.  Do you know anything at all about it’s past?  Last state registered for example?  I believe there are threads here discussing this as well.  You might go onto the AACA site as well as it has been discussed there.

Edited by plymouthcranbrook

1 hour ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

Carfax needs the 17 digit numbers put into use in 1980.  Do you know anything at all about it’s past?  Last state registered for example?  I believe there are threads here discussing this as well.  You might go onto the AACA site as well as it has been discussed there.

thank you

Shot in the dark, but if you have a general idea where the car has lived throughout the years, and if you can find a friendly and helpful motor vehicles employee, you might be able to come up with a title history.

Although they might be rare, friendly and helpful DMV agents do exist.  When I bought my`49 Plymouth from the original owner 31 years ago she still had the original Montana title, which I was supposed to have forfeited to the state of Oregon.  Instead, the DMV employee I was fortunate enough to get that day made a color photocopy for the state's records and let me keep the original.

Ever since that day I've kept my eyes peeled for Bigfoot, UFOs and unicorns, as I've always believed their existence is about as certain as that of a friendly and helpful motor vehicles employee.

_

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Even in crazy Calif. my good friend got a 57 GMC truck from his kid. The title however was one number off from the door tag.

His kid had paid the state for a history of the title owners and info as registered. No Addresses but years owned. Also said the same title number going back about 20 years.

So he and I searched EBAY over several years ( no hurry as he had other projects) for a repo tag that Very closely matched the original with spots for weights etc. Finally bought one and found a engraver at the local trophy shop that he already knew that had some very original stamp types and made the one change needed.  Problem solved.

Yes,  he kept the original tag and the state title search for the future.

DJ

Careful, changing VIN tags, for any reason, is a felony in most states.  Surprised CA didn't pounce on you'uns for that.  But if they don't know, most certainly don't ever tell them that you did that, now that it's "fixed".  They may sympathize with you on the issue, but they'll still impound the auto until the issue is either worked out, or the car gets crushed.  

The first thing to do is simply query your DMV office on whether or not they can/will do that for you.  They'll tell you what you need to do, if it costs anything, any restrictions, etc.  I realize many folks shy away from contacting them unless they absolutely have to, but there is no reason not to (unless you know your entire DMV office are buttheads).  They will ultimately have to do the search for you anyway.

Unicorns and UFOs must abound in Maine, and there are certainly many Squatch believers here.  Although most motor vehicle issues are handled by city and town employees in Maine, they all work through the State BMV.  I have never had to wait more than a few minutes to have a vehicle question answered here.  Even though Maine's motor vehicle statutes read very strictly, BMV will actually help people solve vehicle registration and titling problems, rather than just tell them something is wrong.  I sent an email to a State BMV contact asking how many 1937 Terraplanes are registered in Maine.  I already knew the ownership history.  Got an answer within 24 hours, in part because it piqued their curiosity, too. 

Michael........why don't you post on here as much information that you have so that the guys here maybe able to help...........no offence meant but you haven't given much info regarding your car, ie, body sytle, model a nd things like colour, interior etc..........evn the chassis/body and car serial numbers can indicate where the car was made and posibily the state sold etc.........welcome aboard, BTW......Andyd . 

4 hours ago, Andydodge said:

Michael........why don't you post on here as much information that you have so that the guys here maybe able to help...........no offence meant but you haven't given much info regarding your car, ie, body sytle, model a nd things like colour, interior etc..........evn the chassis/body and car serial numbers can indicate where the car was made and posibily the state sold etc.........welcome aboard, BTW......Andyd .