Wondering what seats work in a 41 Plymouth coupe

41plymcoupe

Hi guys, I’m real new on here so forgive my etiquette or lack of specifics. I’ve got a 41 Plymouth coupe and the previous owner installed a single bench seat typical of a business coupe. I’d like to fit a folding bench seat in the front and move the current one to the back to make it a 4 passenger car (I’ve heard about an auxiliary seat coupe where they did this). I know that’s not exactly stock, but it’s what I’d prefer. I’m wondering what seats would be compatible(bolt in) or how to retrofit. I’ll add a photo of what I’m going for, thanks!

716DCED7-36C1-42CC-A8C5-D194D625DCA7.png

I had a 1941 Plymouth Auxillary Seat Coupe and the small folding rear seats are not anything like the full size front split bench seat, in fact I doubt whether a full size seat will even fit, if it does it will be extremely cramped.........the folding rear seats are really only suitable for children or short adults as they are quite close to the floor.........when I sat on them my knees were up near my ears.......lol........very uncomfortable for an adult.............see attached pics.......if you look closely at the 1st pic you can just make out the small folding metal "peg" that holds the seat from the floor, its just behind the non folded seat in this pic........the 2nd pic is from the opposite side.........my car was a facotory RHD export car made in Detroit but assembled in South Africa..........it was imported into Oz in the 1980's from what i could find out and given a basic restoration........the ASC thing from what I understand was available in both 1940 and 1941 BUT from 1942 onwards Plymouth used a longer roofed Coupe as a "Club Coupe" that had sufficent room for a full sized rear seat, the Business Coupe continued to use the 1940/41 short roofed body shell till 1948..........I sold this car after 7 years.......sometimes you do stupid things............lol............I stll have the 1940 Dodge but regret selling the coupe............regards from Oz.............Andy Douglas

IMG_1531.JPG

IMG_1357.JPG

IMG_1355.JPG

IMG_1363.JPG

BTW.........the pic you posted shows the interior and seating setup of the 1942-48 Club Coupe, NOT the 1940/41 ASC Coupe.....easy way to tell is that apart from the seats is that the Club Coupe has an "elongated" rear side window rather that the small "triangulated" one of the business coupe shell........andyd   

42- 48 business coupe, club coupe, & 2 door sedan all had

split front seats like in your picture. The mounts are probably

the same as your car. If someone on this site doesn't confirm this 

I'll measure my 48 for you tomorrow. (It's parked at our daughter's house)

5 hours ago, Andydodge said:

BTW.........the pic you posted shows the interior and seating setup of the 1942-48 Club Coupe, NOT the 1940/41 ASC Coupe.....easy way to tell is that apart from the seats is that the Club Coupe has an "elongated" rear side window rather that the small "triangulated" one of the business coupe shell........andyd   

Gotcha, thank you for replying. Sounds like I might have to get a little crafty. I’m still trying to figure out how to go about this, but if I figure out a good way I’ll be sure to share it.

@41plymcoupe If you could upload a picture of your current seat it may help others to evaluate your situation and identify what seat you may have in there. Like was said above I believe the original seat has a split upper but I'm not completely familiar with the '41 models.

OK, 41Plymcoupe, here are the measurements, as promised.

These from a 48 Plym club coupe (P15). All are center to center

to the holes shown & are as close as I could get them with the

seat frame in the car. Apologies for the quality of the drawing.

If you can't read it pm me.

Is the car in your profile your '41? Nice! Real nice!

seat measurement 001.jpg

22 hours ago, plymjim said:

OK, 41Plymcoupe, here are the measurements, as promised.

These from a 48 Plym club coupe (P15). All are center to center

to the holes shown & are as close as I could get them with the

seat frame in the car. Apologies for the quality of the drawing.

If you can't read it pm me.

Is the car in your profile your '41? Nice! Real nice!

seat measurement 001.jpg

Big thanks, I’m gonna run the measurements in a few to be sure mine is the same. Also, yep that’s the car. Still in the early stages, but it’s running and driving.

On 10/15/2020 at 10:02 AM, Silverdome said:

@41plymcoupe If you could upload a picture of your current seat it may help others to evaluate your situation and identify what seat you may have in there. Like was said above I believe the original seat has a split upper but I'm not completely familiar with the '41 models.

The seat in there now is out of a newer car (90’s-00’s) and bolted into wood beams that were then bolted into the original holes. Very ?

• 2 weeks later...

If you want to think outside of the box, to make the car more user friendly I would suggest bucket seats in the front out of a '85 325 BMW.. I have '85ish BMW buckets in the front of my '39 Plym conv cpe and a '49 Olds 88 2dr fast back sdn. The BMW seats are easy to pick up in a Pick A Part wrecking yard, usually for under $200. a pair.1153265358_39Plymconv.7-14-6.jpg.05767f3a9b28cd469c7c01f8fba18234.jpg