cleaning a drop in oil filter

harmony

I just changed my oil on my 251 flathead and discovered that the oil filter was out of stock at NAPA and they wanted a huge amount for shipping to bring it in from across the country.  I'm curious if anyone has tried to clean them with carb cleaner, brake cleaner, acteone, or maybe dawn dish soap and water, etc?   I've been using a Fram CH192PL.  I tried pinesol because I've used it as a carb cleaner for soaking parts, but even though it got most of the oil out, I'm not sure it was the best choice.  It's been drip drying for about a week and so it's probably fairly clean, but of course the pinesol doesn't evaporate like carb or brake cleaner.  I'm not sure what the filtering material is made of so I don't know if it's compatible with water.

Yes I know they are available on ebay and amazon.  But I'm old school. I don't have online accounts with those companies.  I like walking up to a parts counter and walking out with the product.  I also like bias ply tires,,,,,  it just feels right to me.

Cheers

I use a NAPA 1010 gold filter. If you have the old drop in filter just measure the height diameter and the hole size that the filter goes through to hold it in place.  Any filter that has the similar dimensions will work just fine these are a pass through filter and not a full flow filter like in your modern car.

Find a replacement filter and use it they all workthe same.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939aol.com

Wix has always been my go to on all my vehicles......did not know that Napa brand is manned by Wix ....we only have 1 Napa store in all of Omaha (population around 470,000)so there are some pretty impressive lines.

EDIT. Thank you @Young Ed and @Sniper

Edited by Frank Elder
The other voices in my head told me to, and I always listen to them!

Old-timers when I was a kid always used kerosene. If some is left in the filter,and there WILL be some left in the filter,it will work to thin and remove any sludge.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Sniper said:

Don't know if you have Home Depot up there but HD will ship a Wix 51010 to my house for free, filter price is $12.05 US

Thanks but no listing at Home Depot Canada for the wix filter. :(

1 minute ago, harmony said:

Thanks but no listing at Walmart Canada for that filter :(

Try Napa or O'Reilly Auto parts. They generally keep them in stock.  Advance Auto and other chains will also either have them,or order them for you at no additional charges..

Buy two at a time. That way you always have a spare and don't have to run out and look for one to change the oil.

I just got a call from Napa a few seconds ago and they just got one in for me, so I'm good to go now. It came from Calgary so that wasn't too bad, no shipping charge either.   Since they seem to be scarse, I might line up half a dozen of them asap.  They won't go bad and they will all pet used eventually.  The car club I'm with get a pretty good discount with Napa.  

45 minutes ago, knuckleharley said:

Old-timers when I was a kid always used kerosene. If some is left in the filter,and there WILL be some left in the filter,it will work to thin and remove any sludge.

I might try the kerosene or mineral spirits or gas to see how clean I can get the used filter just out of curiosity.

1 minute ago, harmony said:

I might try the kerosene or mineral spirits or gas to see how clean I can get the used filter just out of curiosity.

I wouldn't try either. Mineral oil is kinda "clingy",and gasoline has been known to have "the vapors". Do you REALLY want gas fumes in your base pan if your car backfires?

Stick with kerosene. People have been using it for engine flushes for 100 years now.

3 hours ago, desoto1939 said:

I use a NAPA 1010 gold filter. If you have the old drop in filter just measure the height diameter and the hole size that the filter goes through to hold it in place.  Any filter that has the similar dimensions will work just fine these are a pass through filter and not a full flow filter like in your modern car.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939aol.com

I think the Fram CH192PL measures 6 1/2" x 3 1/2"  But I don't have it right infront of me.  I'm off to Napa now, so I'll make a not of the dementions before I drop it it.

for future reference, here is a xref : https://www.oilfilter-crossreference.com/convert/Fram/CH192PL

Note the PN for NAPA and Wix.  Clearly the same product.

4 minutes ago, harmony said:

You can't really tell by looking how much fine stuff is still down in the pleats.

1 minute ago, kencombs said:

for future reference, here is a xref : https://www.oilfilter-crossreference.com/convert/Fram/CH192PL

Note the PN for NAPA and Wix.  Clearly the same product.

You can't really tell by looking how much fine stuff is still down in the pleats.

Thanks for that cross reference.  I already have that site bookmarked.  

3 hours ago, desoto1939 said:

Rich Hartung

desoto1939aol.com

It is my understanding that that filter is in fact a full flow filter on some 251 and 265s.  If it is mounted on the side of the block, it is full flow.  Since it is under full oil pressure I'd get the right one. 

Harmony,

Did some quick searches and came up with Walmart Canada sells Wix and Possibly? could order what you

Also found the Wix dist. search for US and Canada. Just input your 6 digit zip code for local suppliers in Canada. Sorry but came out in some format I coud not attach. But just a web search for: Wix dealers lookup is where I got it.  Oh well,  I am not that sharp on computer formats and such.

May give some more choices and possibly prices?

DJ

2 hours ago, kencombs said:

It is my understanding that that filter is in fact a full flow filter on some 251 and 265s.  If it is mounted on the side of the block, it is full flow.  Since it is under full oil pressure I'd get the right one. 

8 minutes ago, harmony said:

To clarify,when you write "bolted to the block",you mean the housing itself is bolted directly into the block,not just attached to the block by brackets.

Well I got a filter from Napa.  It is the Napa Gold 1062, which comes up on the cross reference for the Fram CH192PL.  However the napa filter is smaller in diameter by about 3/16". Which I suppose would only make it less efficient so to say.  But it is longer.  The Fram has a gasket covering the entire end ( both ends) and it's the thickness of a business card.  The Napa has a cork gasket both ends ( 1/8" thick) and with the cork depressed about half way it is still about 3/32" longer.

The car came with the Fram oil filter and I've changed it 3 times since I've had it with the same Fram filter.  This time Napa didn't have the Fram so they gave me the Napa one.  The inside diameters are the same, so it's quite possible that the Fram filter was the wrong one and that there was a bit of a gap and it wasn't sealing at both ends.  As Kencombs suggested, yes it is a full-flow system as stated in the service manual.  However they don't mention a p/n for the filter in the manual.  I'm guessing if I put the Napa filter in that I would be able to tighten the top cover on enough to prevent it from leaking around the lip.  I might have to double up on the gasket perhaps. Using my old one and the new one.  

However my oil pressure has been around 55.  The manual indicates the pressure sould be around 55-65.  But if the filter was clogged and the oil was using the safety valve to circulate the oil instead of going through the filter the pressure would drop to 35-45.  Which is sort of telling me that there hasn't been a gap between the ends of the filter while using the Fram or it would simulate the same thing as a clogged filter.  I suppose I could clean out the canister.  Put some fresh masking tape on the top, then add some fresh white paint on the masking tape, then screw on the top tightly, then unscrew it and see if any of the paint is on the lip inside the top. 

I just started searching Napa and when I put in the #1062 and read all the stats on it at the bottom of the list it says the manufacturer is Wix.  The measurements are all the same to so I'll assume it is the same as the Wix 51062.