Front clip swap - '56 to '52?

Bob Riding

I've been trying to come up with a way to use the '56 277 Poly V8 that came in my parts wagon in my '52 Suburban build. I realize that a number of modifications will need to happen if I just transplant the V8 where the old flat 6 lived, such as dealing with the steering column, motor location, mounts, etc. 

I've looked at both chassis, and the wheel width is almost exactly the same- but the '52 has a 111" wheelbase vs. a 115" wheelbase for the '52.  It seems the frame width near the front body mounts are close- within an inch or two. Anyone try this swap?

IMG_0604.jpeg

IMG_0554.jpeg

Bob....the Australian Chrysler Royal introduced in 1957 thru to 1962 used the 1953/54 chassis and body shell with 55/56 fenders ,and apart from offering both the 230 and 250 engines depending on what trans was ordered Oz Chrysler also offered the Canadian 301 then 313 A series Poly in this 53/54 style chassis from 1957 to 1962............the engine I installed in my 1940 Dodge was from a 1962 Oz Chrysler Royal, see attached pic and was the 313 version, since bored 80thou over to 325.......as for doing a complete 55/56 front clip swap it maybe doable but I'd be first trying to instal the engine/trans offset to the passenger side an inch or two to see if that gained the necessary clearances............when I installed the Poly in my 40 Dodge I mounted it quite low in the frame and ended up using a rack & pinion and various other changes which is probably more than you envisage...........lol.............but anything is possible if you want it badly enough and won't take no for an answer........lol...........andyd     

1962ChryslerRoyal.png

3 hours ago, Bob Riding said:

I've been trying to come up with a way to use the '56 277 Poly V8 that came in my parts wagon in my '52 Suburban build. I realize that a number of modifications will need to happen if I just transplant the V8 where the old flat 6 lived, such as dealing with the steering column, motor location, mounts, etc. 

I've looked at both chassis, and the wheel width is almost exactly the same- but the '52 has a 111" wheelbase vs. a 115" wheelbase for the '52.  It seems the frame width near the front body mounts are close- within an inch or two. Anyone try this swap?

IMG_0604.jpeg

IMHO,it would be a crying damn shame to strip out that complete and solid station wagon. Why not just sell it to a restorer,and use the money to put a 318 in your car?

MY opinion,and worth every nickel it cost you!

Edited by knuckleharley

6 hours ago, knuckleharley said:

IMHO,it would be a crying damn shame to strip out that complete and solid station wagon. Why not just sell it to a restorer,and use the money to put a 318 in your car?

MY opinion,and worth every nickel it cost you!

I appreciate the sentiment- but it's not as solid as it looks. The rust issues are quite extensive- I plan to salvage as many parts as I can for my solid '56, including doors, trim, steering wheel, bumpers, etc. It is weird how it rusted- it sat under a tarp in the Sierras for 40 years...the whole back of the wagon is corrosion but the front is OK. the floors are gone, but the rockers are solid, including the original aluminum step plates. Once I get all I can from it, I will drag it down to Turner's Auto Wrecking where it will hopefully supply parts for others.

• Like 2

Ahhhh,my apologies. I didn't know it was a parts car for another 56.

BTW,storing one outside under a tarp practically guarantees massive rust out. Sweating and no air circulation.

3 minutes ago, knuckleharley said:

Ahhhh,my apologies. I didn't know it was a parts car for another 56.

BTW,storing one outside under a tarp practically guarantees massive rust out. Sweating and no air circulation.

No need. I would've said the same. ?