Need to buy rubber for the redo of my 1937 Dodge 1-ton pu

Ok,I am starting the redo of my 37 Dodge 1 ton pu. I have no idea what the model number is. All I know is that it was sold new to the city of Newport News,Va as a fire truck,and had a small pumper in the bed. I know this because the brass tag is still on the bed.

When I bought it,the body had been mounted on a 72 Ford F-250 4X4 chassis,complete with the 390 Ford engine. When I took the bed off,I discovered the chassis was just about rusted away,so I am putting it on a 78 Dodge Ram-150 4x4 chassis,complete with a crate 318,auto trans,ps,and pb. I am keeping the 3/4 ton differentials,though. I like the bigger brakes,and I like not having to buy new wheels and tires.

My major concern at the moment is "where is the best place to buy all the rubber and other trim pieces I need? Stuff like rear window rubber,door rubber,headlight mount rubber,window rubber and felt,etc,etc,etc.

I would also like to know the model number.

BTW,does anybody have a windshield crank mechanism you want to sell?

Left Rear.jpg

DCMclassics.com has always been good based on prior forum entries.  I have some of their cab mounts and very happy with them.  Roberts also has been very well recommended here as well.  Nice looking truck!

Edit: guess I was wrong, checked DCM and didnt find any rubber there, sorry about that

Edited by Lingle
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Lingle said:

DCMclassics.com has always been good based on prior forum entries.  I have some of their cab mounts and very happy with them.  Roberts also has been very well recommended here as well.  Nice looking truck!

Edit: guess I was wrong, checked DCM and didnt find any rubber there, sorry about that

Thanks anyway. Seems like there are lots of people who used to supply old parts no longer in business these days,and it's only going to get worse because there are fewer and fewer pre-1970 cars available to redo every year.

I had a couple of good ones bookmarked on my old computer,but the HD died and I didn't back it up. Then I started to get sick and couldn't work anyhow,so I just forgot the names.

4 hours ago, Lingle said:

I just looked up their website,and they do have rubber for my truck,as well as cab mounts and other items. Thank you for the suggestion!

BTW,can ANYBODY afford to buy rubber from Stelle? $224 bucks for the vent window rubber for my P-15 coupe!

1 hour ago, Young Ed said:

Also try the usuals which besides roberts is Andy bernbaum steele rubber and clesters

Thanks,even with chemo brain I remembered Roberts and Steele,but couldn't remember Bernbaum and am pretty sure I never even heard of Clesters before.

9 hours ago, knuckleharley said:

I just looked up their website,and they do have rubber for my truck,as well as cab mounts and other items. Thank you for the suggestion!

BTW,can ANYBODY afford to buy rubber from Stelle? $224 bucks for the vent window rubber for my P-15 coupe!

Steele's prices are definitely steep, however quality does have a price.  I just had the corner windows replaced on my 51 and the installer said they were worth every penny.  It took less than 5 minutes per window for him to install them.  

He commented that he had replaced the corner windows on pilothouse a few years ago and he spent several hours per window trying to get them to fit.  He had to shave the rubber considerably to get them to finally go in the openings.

Edited by bkahler

1 hour ago, bkahler said:

Steele's prices are definitely steep, however quality does have a price.  I just had the corner windows replaced on my 51 and the installer said they were worth every penny.  It took less than 5 minutes per window for him to install them.  

He commented that he had replaced the corner windows on pilothouse a few years ago and he spent several hours per window trying to get them to fit.  He had to shave the rubber considerably to get them to finally go in the openings.

I  understand and agree with quality costs money,but 224 bucks for vent window rubber?

When I am ready to buy rubber for the P-15 I will sit down when I am having a "good chemo brain day",and compare lists of P-15 rubber from Roberts,Bernbaum,Steele,and at least one other supplier. If the total money difference because Steele and the others is only 150-200 bucks,I will probably spring for the quality.

When you look at the total cost of a complete rebuild,200 bucks one way or another is nothing. Especially when it is a "keeper car" you are spending it on.

5 minutes ago, knuckleharley said:

I  understand and agree with quality costs money,but 224 bucks for vent window rubber?

When I am ready to buy rubber for the P-15 I will sit down when I am having a "good chemo brain day",and compare lists of P-15 rubber from Roberts,Bernbaum,Steele,and at least one other supplier. If the total money difference because Steele and the others is only 150-200 bucks,I will probably spring for the quality.

When you look at the total cost of a complete rebuild,200 bucks one way or another is nothing. Especially when it is a "keeper car" you are spending it on.

For my B3 they were $188 for the pair.  I wonder why they are more expensive for a 37?

I feel your pain on deciding which company to buy from.  Other than Steele I've had mixed results with rubber products.  The molded windshield gasket from Roberts that I bought 20 years ago and was just installed a couple of weeks ago seemed to be just fine.  The installer had no issues with it.  

9 minutes ago, bkahler said:

For my B3 they were $188 for the pair.  I wonder why they are more expensive for a 37?

I feel your pain on deciding which company to buy from.  Other than Steele I've had mixed results with rubber products.  The molded windshield gasket from Roberts that I bought 20 years ago and was just installed a couple of weeks ago seemed to be just fine.  The installer had no issues with it.  

There is a misunderstanding here,and it seems to be my fault. I was talking about the price of vent window rubber for my 1948 Plymouth coupe in a thread about rubber for my 1937 Dodge  ton truck. The truck doesn't even have vent windows.

Sorry to all for any misunderstandings.

38 minutes ago, knuckleharley said:

There is a misunderstanding here,and it seems to be my fault. I was talking about the price of vent window rubber for my 1948 Plymouth coupe in a thread about rubber for my 1937 Dodge  ton truck. The truck doesn't even have vent windows.

Sorry to all for any misunderstandings.

Nope really your fault.  You did mention vent windows and my mind converted that to corner windows!  As I get older my attention to detail doesn't seem to be as good as it used to be.  I'm seem to be constantly checking myself anymore just to make sure I don't screw up to often.  Gettin old sucks!

22 years ago Roberts was selling the vent window rubber for $30 per side for the B3B.  I thought that was expensive then but paid the price.  I haven't checked lately so I don't know what inflation has done to the price. I'm afraid to look!

Mopar-direct has a windshield gasket for your truck for $65, free shipping. I bought WR 2301 vent seals from Metro a few years ago, for my P15 coupes. $80.79 at RockAuto, today. The package will say that it is for a 40 cddp, it’s the correct seal. I’ve used one, on the driver door and it fits.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 9 foot box said:

Mopar-direct has a windshield gasket for your truck for $65, free shipping. I bought WR 2301 vent seals from Metro a few years ago, for my P15 coupes. $80.79 at RockAuto, today. The package will say that it is for a 40 cddp, it’s the correct seal. I’ve used one, on the driver door and it fits.

Thank you!