New guy needs advice - 1948 Plymouth P-15 story

Kmahl13

Hi Guys,

Life has come at me and my family fast and hard this year, as with many other families. In July, my Mother-in-law lost her year and a half long battle with Pancreatic Cancer. A few months prior to her passing she had been talking about restoring her 1948 Plymouth Special De Luxe 4-door. She had owned the car for around 30 years and had not driven it since ~1995. Our assumption is that the engine has not be started/ran since this time.  This past weekend we had the car brought our house. Overall the car is intact and the interior is in relatively good shape. My wife and I are prepared to get the car back into operational order. I do not have the time, tools nor overall mechanical ability to complete a light restoration so I am asking for thoughts on what cost we could be looking at to take it to someone for the work. The work would include engine overhaul/rebuild, transmission rebuild, electrical/wiring, brakes, suspension, tires and light interior upholstery work. Just looking for a rough cost estimate or pointing me to a previous thread that may have this info already. Thank you for your input!

resized.jpg

resized 2.jpg

resize 3.jpg

Looks to be in decent condition.  But the interior isn't stock, the dashboard should be wood grained.  So it's been messed with in the past. We're it mine at this point I wouldn't put a lot of money into it other to get it reliable, running, driving and stopping.  If the engine isn't seized, get it started, do an assessment of condition using a compression test and vacuum gauge readings.  Unless something serious shows up, drive it as it is.  Transmissions are basically bullet proof as long as they have oil in them.  The condition of the clutch can be checked by dropping the inspection cover on the bottom of the bell housing.  Start by going to a couple car events in your area to find recommendations for a shop that knows old cars.  If you don't have any basic mechanical skills and are going to be at the mercy and time table of other shops that just reinforces doing the minimum till you can do basic mechanics and maintenance.  You can easily get in way over your head and under water financially chasing sentimental feelings.  You know how to make a small fortune with old cars???  Start with a large fortune and an old car.  There is always a line in the Sand there will be pressure to cross.  Not trying to disuade you just keeping it real.  

First thing to do is go to eBay get a service manual, read it cover to cover, and have it available when you talk to perspective shops tao assesswhether they know what they are talking about.

These are well built and we'll engineered cars that are relatively easy to repair. They are not drive for six months and ignore vehicles.  They have their needs and part of the hobby is learning to deal with as many as you can on a ship basis.

As a friend said. " If her gonna own an old car, sóner or later her gonna be forced to mechanic on it herself". You should know how..

You will probably get other posts with other opinions but the keep it simple rule applies here.  You can have a lot of fun and enjoyment with out spending big money and then pick at the other issues as the come up. So engine condition drive line condition brakes steering and tires.  Then drive it and decide what else youncan do or afford.

My first suggestion would be "You can always give it to me!"

If that seems impractical,I suggest you check around with local high school auto shop instructors,community college instructors,and even prisons with auto mechanic courses to see if any of them would be interested in taking them in as mechanical or paint/bodywork projects for their students.

IF you can find one,all it will cost you will be parts,and there are people here who can tell you where to find them at the best prices.

On top of that you will be doing the students a "solid" by giving them an opportunity to expose themselves to something unique to their current life experiences.

If any of the instructors tell you the car is out of date due to no electronics,tell him that engine rebuilds are engine rebuilds,and that bodywork and paint are bodywork and paint. Basic mechanics and basic bodywork and paint are the same,regardless of the "subject".

I once bought a 72 Chevy pu from a used car lot in Denver for 75 bucks. Truck was mechanically perfect,but the truck and it's previous owner both had an argument with a brick wall,and the chassis was bent pretty badly. Took it to a Bear Alignment and repair shop in Denver,and the estimate was over 400 bucks in 1978 money.

So I called a correctional institute that taught prisoners auto repair,and asked them if they wanted the job and when I could bring it to them. They says "Yes",and "Right away",so I did.

Got it back in a couple of week,and the total bill was $12.00. That was to pay for the acetylene and oxygen used,and for the welding rod to repair cracks. They did a first class job,too. I drove that truck for a couple of years,and finally sold it for 500 bucks when I didn't need it anymore.

Edited by knuckleharley

13 minutes ago, greg g said:

Looks to be in decent condition.  But the interior isn't stock, the dashboard should be wood grained.  So it's been messed with in the past. We're it mine at this point I wouldn't put a lot of money into it other to get it reliable, running, driving and stopping.  If the engine isn't seized, get it started, do an assessment of condition using a compression test and vacuum gauge readings.  Unless something serious shows up, drive it as it is.  Transmissions are basically bullet proof as long as they have oil in them.  The condition of the clutch can be checked by dropping the inspection cover on the bottom of the bell housing.  Start by going to a couple car events in your area to find recommendations for a shop that knows old cars.  If you don't have any basic mechanical skills and are going to be at the mercy and time table of other shops that just reinforces doing the minimum till you can do basic mechanics and maintenance.  You can easily get in way over your head and under water financially chasing sentimental feelings.  You know how to make a small fortune with old cars???  Start with a large fortune and an old car.  There is always a line in the Sand there will be pressure to cross.  Not trying to disuade you just keeping it real.  

First thing to do is go to eBay get a service manual, read it cover to cover, and have it available when you talk to perspective shops tao assesswhether they know what they are talking about.

These are well built and we'll engineered cars that are relatively easy to repair. They are not drive for six months and ignore vehicles.  They have their needs and part of the hobby is learning to deal with as many as you can on a ship basis.

As a friend said. " If her gonna own an old car, sóner or later her gonna be forced to mechanic on it herself". You should know how..

You will probably get other posts with other opinions but the keep it simple rule applies here.  You can have a lot of fun and enjoyment with out spending big money and then pick at the other issues as the come up. So engine condition drive line condition brakes steering and tires.  Then drive it and decide what else youncan do or afford.

I appreciate all the input and advice. I will say that I am not completely lost around cars, in fact I am comfortable doing many repairs outside of major engine and electrical work. You hit the nail on the head as the interior was changed/redone by the previous owner. The plan is for myself and my friend to do a run through and check list before looking for shops. The goal would be to have a solid running/mechanical car and like you said do upgrades/repairs as we go along.

This is my first time posting here
Like Greg said, buy the service manual and study it (has lots of pictures to illustrate steps)
if you want it to work, make time on your weekends. This is a project!!! But it is certainly do-able if you want to learn.
Here is a good parts sight to start. the link is to the manual.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/plymouth,1948,p15+deluxe,3.6l+218cid+l6,1486874,literature,repair+manual,10335 its $13.30 plus shipping off rock auto. 

Edited by GoodnightIrene

Right now you are looking at a lot of stuff that, taken together, can seem to be too much.

So break it down into sections and take each section one at a time.

Focus on getting it running (engine/trans) first, if it doesn't run then stopping and driving is irrelevant.  Once it's running get it to stop because if it can't stop you can't drive it, then worry about driving (suspension and steering).

A good cleaning and tidying up of the body and interior is good enough till it's safe to drive. 

I can't help on the price of someone else to do all this other than it'll be way more than it'll be worth in a dollar sense anyway but there is a ton of experience and expertise here to help.

• Like 1

Forums are chock-full of people who are willing to share their experience and knowledge, and oft-times not just on the forum.  If you'll post your location you might just get lucky enough to find one.

Sniper's advice is solid: running, stopping, driving ... in that order.

Good luck!

Edited by Hamilton

Hello, This looks like it could be a fun car. I would say to join the Plymouth Owners Club. Their Newsletter is great! There might be a Regional club close by to join too! Find a Cruise night to go to and talk with people to find a local Shop that you could use too! If I lived closer I would come over and give you a hand.

Best of luck,

Ernie