Oil pan question

TylerB46

Hi, the little tab on the front of my 230’s oil pan popped a weld. Should I get that fixed or would it still be okay? I’m going to use a little gasket maker on both sides of the gasket so it shouldn’t move around any, I just don’t know how important that tab is. Thanks!

P.S. Yes I’m going to clean the pan before I install it.

53ECB136-95E1-4068-8173-331404E42F9A.jpeg

On a side note, since it just happened to me.  I had a leak between the collar the drain plug screws into and the pan. I think the sludge had plugged the hole, so when I cleaned it and put new oil in, it started to leak.  I had to drain and pull the pan to fix it.

You may want to install your plug, put a little oil in the pan, and let it sit overnight to verify no leaks before you install it.  I was also told some pans leak near the bottom of where the dipstick goes in. 

15 hours ago, Bdblazer1978 said:

On a side note, since it just happened to me.  I had a leak between the collar the drain plug screws into and the pan. I think the sludge had plugged the hole, so when I cleaned it and put new oil in, it started to leak.  I had to drain and pull the pan to fix it.

You may want to install your plug, put a little oil in the pan, and let it sit overnight to verify no leaks before you install it.  I was also told some pans leak near the bottom of where the dipstick goes in. 

I appreciate that, mine does have a small leak around the plug, but at least for now it’s not enough to even drip on the ground, the collar just stays a little wet.

1 hour ago, jpellican said:

Any suggestions on fixing the leak on the pan were the dip stick mounts to the pan. Did you mig weld it or braze it or use a dealer?

Braze would be surest, after you get all the oil cleaned out of the lap fitting.   Mig would be fastest, but mine tend to be porous, so it might take more than one try.

• Like 1