Pilot bushing

37plymouth-hill

Hi

i ordered a new pilot bushing for a dodge 230 cu in motor (1949). The outside diameter measures .939”. The inside diameter of the input shaft is only .877” or approximately 1/16” smaller in diameter than the bushing. I just can’t imagine being able to drive this bushing into the crankshaft opening with this much of a variance. The inside of the bushing appears to just slide over the transmission input shaft perfectly. Any guidance would be appreciated.

image.jpg

It seems obvious that the parts supplier simply shipped the wrong part.  Whoops!  I just noticed that you mention 'input shaft'.  Since this goes into the crankshaft I think we need some clarification about where this fits??  I assumed clutch pilot, but the 'input' confused me.

Not sure what’s going on. To my knowledge, these engines all used the same bushing (someone please correct me if I’m wrong). The new bushing is listed as having a 0.941” OD, so it sounds like you have the right one. Does the hole in crank look clean?

Ok if you question the pilot bushing then measure the diameter of the input shaft to see if it is the same as  the inside measure ment of the pilot bushing then also measure the size of the hole in the flywheel to determine the size of the hole if they are the same then they willfit.

So there is  a miller tool to drive inthe oillite pilot bushing and the same tool is used to burnish the inside to the proper size.  Here is the factory tool being shown in use

I have these two tools.

Rich

Desoto1939@aol.com

image.png.5b427831d5c4670e96fa1ca7a6350e2c.pngimage.png.676b9fa1e29433f186eb4fad49efb9d3.png

• Like 2

I am impressed easily ... I love we can pack the pilot bearing bushing with grease, and use physiques to remove the bushing .... It sends tingles up my leg.

We know you need same correct size bushing to replace.

The ID may change from wear, I do not think the OD would change .... there is no wear there.

Because these engines are so old, there is many possibilities of past repairs ....

you may have a 230 block with a 218 crank?

You may have a 230 crank from a newer block? 

Just so many possibilities for a backyard mechanic to do a repair decades ago ... you need to match up what you have, that may give you a clue on what you own.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Los_Control said:

Because these engines are so old, there is many possibilities of past repairs ....

you may have a 230 block with a 218 crank?

You may have a 230 crank from a newer block? 

Just so many possibilities for a backyard mechanic to do a repair decades ago ... you need to match up what you have, that may give you a clue on what you own.

That’s what I was thinking too, but AB shows the same bushing for all years and engine sizes.  From what the OP told us, the ID in his crank is not even close.  I’m not sure where to go from here...

Edited by belvedere

My first thought, I went to a local parts store for a set of points for my distributor. I brought the distributor with me and they checked the numbers. and pulled the part off the shelf. Was the wrong points in the box they brought out .... they said my distributor had been messed with and could not help.

Next parts store same situation and had correct parts in the box.

I have no idea how the wrong part ended up in the box, but it did.

Might be worth just order a new one and hope it is the right one? I am guessing they only cost a few dollars, try a different supplier. Trying to return and ship one back would be a nightmare.

ok Here we go. According my my Tri-State Mopar Catalog and used by the suppliers of MoPar parts for Chrylser,Dodge, Desoto and Ply from 1937-52 inthe clutch section the pilot bushing  for all mopars from 1937-52 is the same part number 53298.

So with that information I do not think there is any difference it it is the Dodge/Ply or the Chrysler/Desoto engine.

This is the best that we can do

image.png.09040649c8227f9c9dbadd2fab82cbe9.pngimage.png.70554b4f9afa67da77bea8de2d779e18.pngimage.png.e42ad872fc273378dc5b6d8b202415f8.png

Above is a copy from the parts wharehouse supplier catalog so I hope this helps.  This is why there isa need for everyone to have catalogs and parts manuals in their library to answer these questions.

Rich HArtung  desoto1939@aol.com

Desoto1939@aol.com

I would normally agree with Los Control about the mis-boxed part possibility. But in this case, the dimensions listed for the correct part number match the bushing he has. It’s the dimension of his crank that is off. That’s what makes it such a mystery to me.

1 hour ago, 37plymouth-hill said:

I cleaned the crank thoroughly with a small diameter honing tool. 

He stated that he honed the pilot bushing hle this is not needed but this might have chnaged measurements and someone else might have done it longer and increased the opening size. Can he try to put the bushing inthe hole to see if it is loose or tight. If some backyard Mech did monkey with the pilot bushing hole then he is going to have to get a ver close measurements and then have an oilite pilot bushing made for him.

Rich

Something left in the flywheel bore still in there? ?

DJ

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

To the best of my knowledge the same pilot bushing was used until Chrysler went with the roller bearing setup that pressed into the crank register in the 90's.

And the outer diameter matches the new part the OP has.  So something is up with his crank.

I do know that in later applications that did not use a pilot bushing, such as a 318 with an auto, the hole might have been drill but not finish bored.  Not sure that applies here though.

• Like 1

Along the lines of Sniper’s thought if the crank was from a late 50’s car that had a Powerflite(?) trans would the crank hole be finished all the way?  I ask because a guy I know who has owned a 57 Jeep since High School(50 years) found out that while rebuilding the engine a couple of years ago that Willys did not finish machining the end of the crank where the flywheel bolts on. They and he 50 years later had to grind each one of the flywheel mounting bolts to match It’s place on the crank.  I know it sounds crazy but he showed me what he had to do.