Speed control

pflaming

It's 12v but it looks like it should work.  Can't imagine it would take a lot of power maybe power it up from a booster pack when needed.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Ididit-3100005022-Rostra-Cruise-Control-Signal-Generator-Carb,385558.html?sku=4463100005022&utm_medium=CSEGoogle&utm_source=CSE&utm_campaign=CSEGOOGLE&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-a2u1_ai7AIVjonICh0OmQy-EAQYBSABEgIc6vD_BwE

My father had one installed in a 80s something Honda.  I believe it was hooked into the intake vacuum system some how. It had a bellows that hooked to a chain that hooked to the throttle linkage.  He said it worked fine on the interstates but not so well on the surface roads especially with any hills involved.

Edited by greg g

I have one I saved out of a 60's or 70's Oldsmobile.  It has a governor inside, and it's position is locked in place by an electromagnet.  This then controls the throttle by a bellows, as mentioned above.  It takes very little power to hold it, but I haven't tested it on 6 VDC, to see if that would work.

Edit to add: The electromagnet is the only part in the entire device that is not strictly mechanical.

Edited by Eneto-55
  • Like 1

I want to drive my truck out to Indianapolis on Route 66. A speed control would be easy on the engine on some of those long open stretches. I have a good extra engine which I would take along and I would notify forum members if I get in trouble. But should be fine, thes engines were in grain harvesters and worked for hours at a time in very hot conditions. Dad had a Massy Harris harvester which I drove for many hot hours. 

A769DA26-32EA-48D9-BA81-FF6FF6EE2613.jpeg

Edited by pflaming

https://www.ebay.com/itm/250-1223-ROSTRA-UNIVERSAL-ELECTRONIC-CRUISE-CONTROL-KIT-NEW/222919027884?epid=658002701&hash=item33e7026cac:g:wNsAAOSwDGhazUi7

No experience, but have considered the same.  This one on the bay looks like it would work.  And, seems to be a good price.

Edited by kencombs

Had this combination also. That 30’ header would cut a lot of wheat. Dad put a hydraulic ram on so the header was controlled from the tractor, eliminated the man on the harvester. Drove that for many hours as well. 

27F6E3EA-0A8B-4773-839B-B93DAD399D1B.jpeg

Your idea is a good one for several reasons.  Driver fatique is one,  while I love old trucks, driver position is not ideal.  Cruise will allow some freedom to relax the legs.  Engine fatique is another!  Dad had a salvage beginning in 1960, so the 50s cars where getting up there in wear.  He bought a lot of cars from travelers (we are right on 66 in OK) driving the 'mother road'.  They simply ran the old engines at too high a speed for too long.  My second car was a really clean 52 chevy 216 with a rod out from its' Chicago owner trying to keep up with the new OHV V8s for too long.  It replaced a 46 216 that was my first car.  With a full pressure 235, I drove it for a long time.

Cruise removes the temptation to 'go just a little faster'

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pflaming said:

I want to drive my truck out to Indianapolis on Route 66.

Good luck. Route 66 stops in Chicago.

Paul,

That Rostra brand has been making and selling the add on cruise controls for many years. They work well and are reliable in my past experience.

Have added on to two cars in the past, mostly because of some cross country trips. Loved them. Enabled me to move around, cross feet, stretch, etc. (if not in traffic that is).

Often drove late at night with very little traffic and middle of nowhere.

Just tap the brakes and it shuts down. Set your speed and go. Never started to engage until above a set speed if on.

You will need to buy the signal generator that goes in inline from the trans speedometer cable as shown on the Speedwaymotors  ad above, That tells the computer in the box your speed. Also see if the still sell the setup made for manual trans that also disables the cruise if the clutch is pushed!

They are now computer controlled with a servo type motor in the box that pulls on a flexible throttle cable. All adjustment is set up with the tiny dip switches and 1-2 adjustable pots to set up. One and done. Fairly easy to connect the cable to the throttle rods . Comes with a variety of possible ways to connect to current rods or on the throttle on the carb.

So easy even a ex-English teacher can do it. Jus'- kiddin'  Paul! 

Knowing  you like I now do, I am sure you will either trade for one or find a complete working but used setup for next to nothing.?  

Price is the main- if only- draw back to this system.

Oh ya, I also have one on my 50 Suburban installed but never adjusted because I have not had the car licensed, insured. Never completed the Hot Rod. ?

DJ